Chapter 19 -- You're not so bad

When I opened the front door, I imagined something like the night before. Mom with her arms crossed, dad sweating buckets, Mason playing video games upstairs. Instead I came home to all of the lights out and the faint sound of my parents snoring. I looked up to the hallway above the staircase. I could see my parents' bedroom door from the front door, and there wasn't a trace of light. Mason's room was lit up like the fourth of July.

I made my way up the cream colored carpeted steps to my own room. Mason and I were at the end of the hall, located straight across from the bathroom and hall closet. I wasn't coming home really late, it was only 10:00. Why were my parents asleep already?

"Della? Is that you?" Mason's voice calls out in a whisper.

"No. Just a burglar with a key." I whisper back as I turn to go into his room. I prop myself against the door frame.

He's playing video games, like always, with his headset on. I assume he's talking to Thomas or one of his other nerd friends.

"Mom and dad told me to wait up for you to get home." He says in a monotone.

"Which isn't much of a challenge for you since you'll be up for the next five hours." I roll my eyes.

He remains engrossed in his game. That's when I realize I can't take it anymore. I need an older brother right now. My heart is breaking and I can't just run off to Ash's house this late. I definitely can't go to Jonas, he'll just send me home without a word.

"Mason?" I can't believe how much my voice is cracking already.

He looks up and immediately concern floods his face as a tear flows down my cheek. He rips off his headset and jumps up from the bean bag chair. Mason's taking me to sit down on his bed before I can even tell him what's wrong. Why is he rushing to my side like this?

Wrapping his arms around me, he asks, "What's going on?" I've never felt like Mason was an older, protective brother. He was practically a hermit that occasionally came out of his room for food.

I take in a deep breath, "It's Mickey... And Jonas."

Mason flinches, "Um... A love triangle isn't really my area of expertise."

I allow myself to laugh, "No, not that. Jonas and I got in a really big fight and he told me that I didn't realize I was being played by Mickey. At the basketball game, Mickey was making out with Sophia right in front of me."

Mason jerks back, "And he knew you were there?!"

I shake my head, no. Mason rubs my back to comfort me. I wish I could tell him how I made it hail on his car. What's the harm, anyways? Mom and dad knew I had powers, Mason should know too.

"I kind of... Made it hail on his car." I murmur.

Mason tilts his head, "How do you figure that?"

I sigh, "Super powers. I can control the weather."

Mason looks at me with wide eyes, his mouth gaping open. I guess mom and dad didn't tell him.

"You have powers?" He almost shouts.

"Yeah... I'm Rapid Glare." I whisper, indicating that he should lower his voice too.

Mason blinks several times before he nods his head, "Makes sense why you were out so late after just being in the hospital. So, Rapid Glare, How should we take down Red Raven?" He becomes giddy excited to the point I think he's fanboying.

"Right now I have to get my sidekick back first." I sigh, running my fingers through my hair. Mason and I shared a lot of physical traits but it stopped at our hair color. He had raven black hair he received from dad, and I had ashy, chestnut brown hair I inherited from mom.