Chapter 15 -- Drop us in traffic

I'm not sure what I was meant to do in this situation. How was I supposed to help when I crippled over at the thought of breathing? Maybe the crash against the wall broke a rib or two.

"We're just following Shadow Soldier's tracks. I watched him go into this warehouse and all we have to do is eavesdrop on any conversation."

"Jonas this plan sounds utterly stupid," I wince between words. "Let's do it." I finish. His lips form a smile as he sets me down.

"But I can't go in there. I'll slow you down." I admit defeat.

Jonas stares at me, turns his back to the warehouse, then back to me. "You're... joking right? You're Rapid Glare for crying out loud!"

"I'm injured..." I start, frustrated that he doesn't understand. I just got out of the hospital!

He rolls his eyes in exasperation. "No, you're afraid. Plain and simple. You haven't been defeated by him yet, so what are you afraid of? Get yourself in here, or-"

"Or what?" I cross my arms over my chest.

Jonas squares up to me, practically ready to drag me in there. We need to go home, my parents are worried about me and his parents are too, I'm sure. We can come back when I'm feeling more like a hero.

Jonas, having read my mind, clenches his fists and his jaw muscles tighten. "When will that be, huh? After five more pity parties?" Jonas spits at my face.

The venom in his voice cuts me deeper than Shadow Soldier ever could.

His eyes soften at the hurt on my face. He parts his lips to speak, but I start walking, or rather limping home. Jonas catches up to me after standing with his mouth ajar for a solid minute.

"Della, wait, I'm sorry! You can't walk back home in your condition."

My black Converse sneakers squeak when I halt, "So now I'm not able to walk but just a minute ago you wanted me to get captured by my arch enemy?" I snap at him.

"No, it's just... Della, you keep-"

He's cut off as we're suddenly swooped up into the sky. So many chances to return to the hospital today. Thankfully, whoever snatched us up was kind enough to set us down gently. Except, now we're standing on top of a building. I would like to stop getting myself in these situations.

I gather my bearings and stand to meet the face of whoever felt we needed to get away from the warehouse. Was I to thank them or was there another reason this masked super was sweeping us off our feet?

Realization dawned on me as I recognized the suit. I stumbled back a few steps, toppling over Jonas. Jonas caught me before I fell back.

Crossfire.

The masked villain folds his arms over his chest with a smirk on his face. At least we know that Jonas was correct in assuming all of the villains were in that warehouse.

Jonas allows me to step in front of him, moving closer to Crossfire. He hasn't killed us, but neither did Shadow Solider. So what do they keep capturing us for?

"Do you guys need a ride back home?" Crossfire asks, an incredibly white smile flashing at us. Jonas and I look to each other, baffled as ever.

"Are you going to drop us in traffic while you're at it?" I let the words spill out of my mouth before I realize I just gave him an idea most likely. With a wave of his hand he dismisses the idea. Relief washes over me.

"What do you want?" Jonas asks, seeming more intimidated by Crossfire than Shadow Solider. It doesn't make much sense to me considering we can actually see Crossfire.