Three

Three-Apologies

Bianca

I did not want to go to school and for once in my life, I didn't. I stayed home and buried myself in the covers of my bed. First our parents arrange for us to marry and then Zachary calls me a whore...in front of everyone. I heard the front door open and close, signaling that my mom was home again. I hadn't eaten all day and the sudden desire to eat everything in the kitchen. I don't care what it is, I'll eat it. I uncovered myself and opened my door, going down the stairs to see what was for dinner.

"Hey, honey," my mom greeted.

"Hey," I croaked.

She sighed and turned towards me. "I brought home Taco Bell." Hallelujah! "I got a call that you didn't attend school today. Was it because of last night?" I nodded. "Okay. Bianca, was it him all this time that's been making fun of you?"

"Mhm."

"I'm so sorry. If I'd have known-"

"I know. It's okay."

"Bianca-"

"Can we just eat? I'm hungry." She didn't question me again after that. I think she got that I didn't want to talk about it. After dinner I did my usual routine and when I laid in bed, thinking, I dreaded the fact that I was going to have to go to school the next day. I can't miss two days in a row. I was going to have to face him too. I sighed and tried to find the sleep that never came.

~***~

I drug myself out the door the next day, hoping no one asked me where I was especially not him. When I pulled my truck into the parking spot I noticed that no one was out here like they usually were. I got out and was immediately pushed against the door of my vehicle. I let out a scream of surprise. It wasn't him. It was Cole, one of the star tennis players. This guy had some serious biceps and yeah he was hot, but I didn't want him anywhere near me. The boy was a magnet for trouble, getting caught with drugs his Freshman year and alcohol his Junior year. He was in my Senior class and I dreaded that. What he was doing now, I had no idea. 

"Bianca," he greeted, inches away from my face.

"Cole," I said flatly, trying to get out of his hold.

"Not so fast, little birdie, we're gonna have a bit of fun first." Oh, no. Please no. He started kissing up my neck and I let out an ear piercing scream. He covered my mouth and continued his assault on me. Just at the point I thought I was done for, Cole was ripped away and shoved to the ground. I fell back against the truck and watched as my assailant was beat by my bully. Zachary was furious, more then I had ever seen before. He punched Cole over and over, knocking him out at last, but he didn't stop. He was going to kill him if I didn't intervene right now.

I ran up to him, grabbing his arms as best as I could. "Stop! You're going to kill him!"

He halted and turned to me. "That was the plan."

"And then what? Go to jail for man slaughter?"

He didn't reply. He looked down at the bruised and bloody Cole, sighing. "So I didn't think through my plan."

"Do you ever?" And for the first time I heard something that had my breath catch in my throat. His laughter. It wasn't sadistic or sarcastic. It was genuine laughter, something I'd never heard it from him.

"You're probably right." I turned away from him and grabbed my books from the other side. I didn't expect him to follow me around, but he did and when I turned he was there. I let out a yelp.  "Calm down, love, goodness." Love? He put his arm around my waist and walked me to the door before he turned to me, grasping my hands in his. "Bianca, listen to me. I have been looking at you for a while, admiring you from a distance so when we started talking the only logical thing at the time was to bully you so that you didn't know I liked you," he confessed, looking down.

He liked me? No way. "Liar."

"I'm not lying! I swear I'm not! Bianca, I've liked you since the sixth grade!"

"Then why would you torment me the way you have?"

"I-I don't know. I didn't want you to think that I liked you."

"Well, you succeeded in that."

"I'm so sorry."

"Yeah."

"Listen, if you'll let me, I'll prove myself to you. I'll be a good friend and maybe someday a good husband too."

"Hold it right there! You were completely against our arranged marriage last night. Why the sudden change of heart? You would like to marry a whore now?"

"Bianca, what I said was wrong on so many different levels and I am trying to apologize right now for it. I do want to marry you, I've always wanted to marry you. Just please give me this chance."

I sighed and looked through the doors of the school to see a few students watching us. When Zach noticed he gave them a glare and they all went about their business. I looked up at him. "I'll think about it. As far as I'm concerned, marriage is not an option right now. You've hurt me pretty bad."

"I know I have," he sighed, "But I'm going to start making up for it right now."

"I don't want to be late for class," I said, opening the school's door and leaving him there. I had some major things to think about today. He wanted to marry me? He's liked me since sixth grade?! How could this happen? I was just me. A nerd. Oh gosh, but he looked so good today. He always looks good though. I sighed. I needed to shut up. How was I ever supposed to make a decision?