Eight

Another sad chapter I'm sorry. Why do I keep doing this? I have no idea.

Eight-Strains

Bianca

I never urged him to go faster down the highway at all. In fact, I didn't talk the whole ride to the hospital. I was still trying to process what the officer had said to me. I'm glad that Zach was driving because I was in no condition to at all. I rushed out as soon as we parked and he followed behind me with long strides. I ran passed the front desk and to the elevator, clicking the two. When the doors opened, I ignored the nurses' station and began looking for door numbers with Zach right behind me the whole way.  232. 233. 234! I opened the door and almost burst into tears at the sight of her; tubes running in and out of her body. How could this happen? For once in almost nine years, I was mad at my mother. 

How could she go out and do this to me?! 

So all the rumors were true and she really did everything they said she did!? 

Didn't she know I was in pain too?! 

The tears fell in a huge waterfall now. I held myself and cried at her bedside with Zach rubbing my back in slow circles. I couldn't stay here like this. If I did I would grow to resent her and she was my own mother. I got up and walked out after being in there for a little over ten minutes. He didn't say a word just followed me out and to his car where he opened the door for me, buckling my seatbelt too. I sniffled and rubbed my eyes as he kissed my cheek to comfort me. 

I probably should have stayed longer, but I just couldn't wait there. I had to go look for a job in the morning to help with the bills I would receive from the hospital for her care. As if reading my mind, Zach took my hand and kissed it saying, "My family will pay ant expenses you get from the hospital."

"I can't let you do that." 

"Too bad," he shrugged. 

Why the heck would he do that? "No!" I raised my voice. 

"Yes!" 

"Zachary, I can pay for my mom!" I shouted. I was getting angry at this point. He jerked the car to the side, pulling over. I screamed and held on to the side door. "What the hell?!" 

"I understand that you're under a lot of stress, but that doesn't give you an excuse to yell and be mad at me! I'm sorry about your mom and I'm trying to help you-"

"I didn't ask for your petty help!" 

"Well, too bad because you're getting it! I love you and your mom so I'm helping you even though you're treating me like shit right now!" 

"I am not treating you like shit!" 

"Don't say that word." 

I was taken aback. Is he serious? "Are you kidding me?! Let me out." I tugged on the handle, but he had locked it. "Zachary!"

"No."

"Let me out of this car!"

"You aren't going anywhere, Bianca!" 

"LET ME OUT OF THIS F**CKING CAR! I'M DONE!" 

"What do you mean you're done?" He whispered. 

I was breathing hard from trying to rip the handle off, but this had me stop. "We're over." 

"Bianca-"

"Drive me home or let me out of this car. I don't want to hear another word." 

He turned back to the wheel and drove down the road again. We were silent the entire ride back, never once looking at each other. When we reached my home I unbuckled my own seatbelt and slammed the car door shut. I unlocked the front door, but before going in I turned to look at him and my heart clenched. He was leaned over the steering wheel, his shoulders sagged and he looked like he was sobbing. I turned and went into the door. I just can't do this anymore. We could've been together in a different life. 

This was defiantly a strain on me.

Zachary 

"I'm done."

"We're over." 

Those four words rang in my head as I drove home. What had even happened? Halfway there I pulled over for the second time and cried. I had lost her. I heard my phone chime and a part of me hoped it was Bianca, but when I looked it was just my mom. She could wait a few more minutes. I caught my breath and rubbed my eyes, running my fingers through my hair. Was it really over already? I had just begun to prove myself and she already shut me out again. My phone chimed again, this time it was my dad. He could wait too. I had some things to think about at the moment. I don't know how long I had been sitting there on the side of the road, but it must have been a while because my parents' cars pulled up behind me. I saw them get out of their vehicles and come to the driver's side, knocking on the window. I could tell my eyes were puffy and my cheeks red, stained with tears. 

"Honey, what happened?" my mom asked, when I rolled down the window. 

"It's over, Mom. She broke things off with us. We're done." 

This was going to be a strain on both of us.