Six

Six-Valentine's Day

Bianca

I hate Valentine's Day. It is the worst "holiday" ever created by a sickening couple that want all the single people to feel like crap. Not to mention it was on a Tuesday which is not Friday...which sucks. I woke up at 6:00 and immediately regretted it, rolling over and almost falling off the bed. Did I have to go to school today? Was it really worth seeing all those couples make out in the hallway? I sighed. At least I get to see Zach. I told him not to get me anything and it was mainly because I didn't want him to spend any money on me. I also knew what the girls at school would say about me if he did. They'd probably think he was my "sugar daddy" or something dumb like that. They always come up with the most terrible names.

I showered and dressed, picking up a donut on the way out of the house. I drove to school and found Zach waiting at my parking spot. I looked at him funny, but all he did was smile. I tugged my coat closer to me and braced again the slight wind of cold air.

"How long have you been standing there?"

"Only a few minutes, cupcake, don't worry. I have to show you something." Oh no. Please tell me he didn't- "Happy Valentine's Day!" He did. He beamed as he held a bouquet of roses and a medium sized teddy bear in front of me.

"Zach!" I yelled accusingly.

"What?!"

"I told you not to get get me anything!"

"I know, but I just couldn't leave you without something on Valentine's Day."

I sighed. "Now I feel bad."

He pouted and walked up to me, setting the gifts in the front seat of my run down truck. "Don't feel bad, baby. I got you something because I wanted to. Think about it, I could easily have gotten you a new car for Valentine's Day." I felt my eyes widen. "But I didn't because I knew you'd be upset with me if I did, so I settled for chocolates and a bear."

I rolled my eyes. He settled for chocolates and a bear. "Alright, but I'm keeping them both in the truck."

"You can't leave chocolate out."

"Fine; I'll take them in."

"What if Mr. Snuggles gets lonely?"

"Mr. Snuggles?"

"Yeah."

"Ugh! Fine I'll take them in!"

"Thank yoooouuu," he grinned, kissing all up my neck and cheeks.

"Yeah, yeah. Stop, that tickles," I giggled. He placed one last kiss to my forehead and we walked to school hand in hand.

~<***>~

So school wasn't too bad. Yes, I got glares in the hall from all the jealous girls in school, but I expected it. No one said anything about how we walked together all day, or how he always had his arm around me, or about the fact that he changed almost all of his classes to fit mine...even though I only had like, five classes because I'm a Senior with a bunch of credits. He was always with me and I had no problem with that at all. No one picked on me when he was around and I finally felt free.

Zach followed me home to make sure I got there safely and I found that very sweet. I got out of my truck and walked over to him with all my things in my arms. "Would you like to stay for dinner?"

"That'd be awesome," he smiled, taking a few of my things as we walked through the door. We went up the stairs to my room, dropping everything on my bed. I led him to the kitchen where I expected my mother to be, but wasn't. I looked around and noticed a note on the refrigerator.

Sorry honey, I went out for the night. Just order some pizza for dinner, you know where the money is. Don't wait up for me.

Mom

I sighed and shook my head. I thought that maybe this year would be different. "What is it?" he asked.

"My mom goes out every Valentine's Day. I don't know what she does, but she doesn't come back until morning. It's been that way since...well, since my dad died. I've heard some of the women gossip about her in the stores about what she does. It doesn't sound like my mother at all and it defiantly isn't the woman my dad fell in love with. She's never been just stone drunk in front of me before, but apparently that's what she does every Valentine's Day and June 17th."

"June 17th?"

"It was their wedding anniversary. So twice a year she leaves and comes back after a few days. She was gone for a whole week once;it was about a year after he died."

"I'm so sorry."

"It's fine. I learned how to cook, but I guess since you're here we'll order some pizza. Sound okay?"I asked grabbing the house phone on one of the side tables.

"That sounds great baby, but there's something I've been meaning to do..."

I turned to look at him. "What's wrong?"

He took the phone out of my hand, setting it on the coffee table. He ran his hands down my arms and wrapped them around his waist. "Nothing is wrong," he whispered, cradling my jaw with his hands. "In fact, everything is going very right." He leaned in and my eyes fluttered closed before his lips touched mine. I felt every muscle and nerve in my body awaken. This feeling was like none other I'd ever encountered. There were sparks flying and I felt like I was safe here with him. His hands moved down from my face to my hips as mine moved up his chest. Never once did we break the lock of our lips. We stood like that for a while, kissing each other senseless. I pulled away and looked at him, seeing how his pupils had enlarged.

I'd just had my first kiss.