Eleven

Eleven-Ties

Zachary

It had been a blissful three weeks, but my heart still hurt for Bianca. Her mother had been in a coma for a month now with only a slight change here and there. They have no idea when or if she will wake up. It was a difficult time for Bianca, but I was glad I could be here for her and she was finally letting me help with the hospital bills.

I looked down at her sleeping figure, brushing a strand of her chestnut brown hair aside. We were laying in her bed after a night of talking, laughing, and kissing. I knew not to expect anything more from her in that department. I didn't want to feel like I was taking advantage of her in this rough time. We hadn't talked about s*x at all and I just assumed she didn't ever want to; I sure wasn't going to bring it up either. I hugged her closer and buried my facer in her hair, breathing in. She always smelled so good; like mangos and cream. I smiled and kissed behind her ear, feeling her stir as I went.

"Zach," she said, sleep evident in her voice. "What time is it?"

I glanced over at her alarm clock. "7:20."

"Please tell me it's Saturday," she groaned, slightly sitting up.

"It is."

She breathed a sigh of relief as she plopped down on the bed again. "Oh thank gosh."

I chuckled. "What do you want to do today?"

"Absolutely nothing."

I sighed and stroked her back in an effort to sooth her. "I thought you wanted to go see your mother today." She was silent as she got out of bed and made her way around it. I frowned. "Honey? Are you okay?"

"I don't want to see her today."

"Is there something wrong?"

"No, I just don't feel like going." She picked out a few clothes and went into the bathroom. Within a few minutes a heard the water running and the shower start. Something was wrong with her, but I didn't want to really ask. I knew that her ties with her mother had been strained the second that officer told us that she had overdosed. There was a lot that she still hadn't told me, but I wasn't her husband and she didn't have to tell me everything.  I went downstairs and made her some scrambled eggs, spooning out some grape jelly on the side. She loved jelly with her eggs. I set down a tall glass of milk and stood back, admiring my work.

I heard her coming down the stairs and I stood next to the table with a smile. When she saw me she looked at me, puzzled. "What is all this?"

"It's your breakfast. Scrambled eggs, bacon with grape jelly on the side, and a glass of milk. Just the way you like it."

She gave me a soft smile as I pulled her chair out. "Thank you so much."

"Only the best for my baby."

Bianca

I received the call last night, but I didn't want to see her yet. She had hurt me and I wasn't prepared to look her in the eyes. How many times has she been selfish? I had tried to get a new perception on the situation at hand, but I just couldn't. I knew that it was rude of me not to see her when she had just woken up, but I couldn't bring myself to go. I knew if I told Zach she was awake he would make me see her and I would give in.

After we finished breakfast we cuddled on the couch and for a few minutes my worries went away...until the phone rang. I jumped up to get it, but he beat me. "Hello?" He asked. "What? She is? Did she-I see...Yes. We're on our way." He hung up the phone and I looked down in guilt. "You knew?"

"Yes," I whispered.

He sighed, "Let's go." I nodded and followed him out. I really didn't want to do this, but I had to. He opened the car door for me and left me to put my seatbelt on. He got in the car and buckled his own seatbelt, gripping the wheel. He didn't start talking until we were halfway there. "You knew and you didn't even tell me...why?"

"I didn't want to see her..."

He sighed and pulled into the hospital parking lot, getting out. I built up my courage and got out too, bracing myself. I counted the steps I took toward her door and before I knew it we were there. Do we knock? Before I could decide, a nurse came out. "Oh, hello there! You must me Bianca."

"That's me."

"You can visit her now."

"Thank you," I whispered. This was it. The door creaked as ai opened it, poking my head inside. I felt Zach's hand on my back as he slightly pushed me forward. We entered in and my mother's head tilted up, her eyes widening in surprise.

"Bianca?"

"Hi, Mom."