Chapter 15

Once Lorelai and Rory had finished their burgers, Luke told Caesar to close down the diner once the current customers were through. He planned to walk his wife and step-daughter back home but, on a whim, Rory decided to head to Lane's to waste some time until Logan called.

Luke reached for Lorelai's hand and the newlyweds slowly made their way through town, stopping to chat with friends who crossed their path. Marveling at how lucky he was for finding his heart's desire, Luke found himself smiling broadly. It had taken a lot to get to this point but he was so happy he could finally call Lorelai his wife.

Lorelai looked at Luke to find his mouth turned up in grin. "Ya get a boomerang stuck in your mouth?"

Startled, Luke jerked his head to face Lorelai, trying to connect the dots. He saw her playful smile and realized she must have witnessed the joy written on his features. "If you must know, I was just thinking about how lucky I am."

"Mr. Danes, you certainly are the luckiest man alive. After all, only one other man can say he's been married to me."

"Well, I won't be stupid enough to let you get away."

"Remember our vows? The only way one leaves is in a body bag." Lorelai's eyes danced with mirth as she gazed at her husband.

*****

Once home, Luke and Lorelai curled up on the couch to watch a movie. As they were discussing their options, Lorelai received a text from Sookie.

I think I know of a great chef for the Dragonfly.

Intrigued, Lorelai asked who it was. She knew better than most that a restaurant was only as good as its best chef and, right now, the one at the inn was awful.

Sookie's response caused a myriad of emotions to erupt: Me.

Lorelai told Sookie that she would always have a place at the Dragonfly. As an afterthought, she sent a quick text, reminding Sookie that under no circumstances was she to hire Kirk to help drum up restaurant business again.

*****

After watching an old Lucille Ball movie, Chatterbox, Luke and Lorelai decided to head to bed. Lorelai was going about her nightly routine while Luke pulled back the quilt and climbed into bed. A white binder on his wife's bedside table caught his attention. As he leaned to grab it, he recognized it as the binder they received from Paris' surrogacy clinic.

Flipping through the pages, Luke was still unsure whether he'd have to sleep with another woman, all in the name of having a baby. He was glancing at the limited biographies of the surrogates when Lorelai emerged from the bathroom. Seeing what he was looking through, she felt herself fill with hope that maybe Luke was reconsidering having a baby. Before she could stop herself, she asked, "See anyone who interests you?"

Startled, Luke quickly closed the binder. "No! I don't want to have sex with any of these women!"

Lorelai rolled her eyes. "That is not what surrogacy is!" She proceeded to explain it to him in terms that she thought he would understand. When she finished, she sat quietly while he digested all of the information.

"So I wouldn't have to sleep with any of these girls?" While some men may have jumped at that very opportunity, Luke knew he wasn't like some men. He valued what he had with Lorelai and refused to let anything interfere in their life.

Lorelai chuckled. "I'd prefer you don't. This isn't a Kanye video."

Luke smiled and patted the bed beside him. "I have an early delivery. Ready to get some sleep?"

Nodding, Lorelai wormed her way into her preferred sleeping position, wondering if she was the only one who would be thinking about surrogacy tonight.