Chapter 86

Jess and Natalie arrived at a government complex, ready to meet with a representative of the state's Office of Children and Family Services. This was the first step in becoming foster parents, aside from the detailed questionnaires they had been sent. Both were excited at the prospect of taking in a child but nervous about the child having a history they knew little to nothing about.

After checking in with the receptionist, they took seats in the waiting room. Though neither said anything aloud, both understood the emotions involved and gave one another time to process what was about to happen.

"Jess and Natalie?" The couple looked up and saw a middle aged woman holding a door open. "I'm Susan. I'll be meeting with you today."

They both stood and moved closer, offering their hands to Susan as they neared.

"Please follow me."

Jess and Natalie were led down a maze of halls until they reached Susan's office. She gestured for them to take seats across from her desk and wasted no time with fake pleasantries.

"I understand the two of you are interested in becoming foster parents."

Jess spoke up first. "Yes, that's right."

Susan reached for a pen and pad of paper. "Do you have the forms that you were sent to complete?"

Nodding, Natalie reached into her purse and produced the documents Susan was referencing. "I must say, completing these was a bit overwhelming. We answered as truthfully as we could but some of the possibilities were scary to think about."

Susan forced a smile. "Yes, well, it takes all kinds. For the most part, we see children who are able to rebound from the poor choices of their biological parents with some love and attention but there are those who have been badly damaged. As hard as it may be to get people to follow through with welcoming children into their homes, we can't sugarcoat things. You'll always know the truth of the situation in as much as we can relay. There are some things, though, that you won't be told but it won't have anything to do with the necessary care the child or children will need."

Jess looked at Natalie, who seemed more apprehensive than she did even ten minutes ago. "So you're saying that when a call for a child comes through, we'll be provided information as to what you believe we can expect in terms of behavior issues or anticipated care the child will need?"

Susan nodded. "To the best of our ability, yes. But you have to understand that not all issues come to light in the little window between our removing a child and placing him or her in your care. Some problems are only revealed later on, whether deeper in the legal proceedings against the parent or through therapy services the child may be required to receive."

The three sat and talked for over an hour about various aspects to foster care and the requirements Jess and Natalie would have to abide by. The more information they learned, the stronger the desire became to walk this path.

Susan made notes throughout the conversation, many times asking follow up questions to something that was said. She made it clear that she was pleased to find out Jess and Natalie were welcome to the idea of adoption, as that would help assist in not only finding temporary homes for displaced children but may also be where a child found his or her permanent place in this world.

"We have numerous homes that are open to both but there are some who want one or the other. I love finding those who are willing to be both ends of the spectrum to the children in need. Another thing to keep in mind is that your feelings toward one or the other may change as time goes on and experience comes. You may find that you solely want to foster, that long term requirements to care for a child with problems may not be in the cards for you. And that is okay. You have to know your limitations."

Though what Susan said made sense, Jess could see that Natalie was appalled at the thought. "I know you're doing your job but if caring for a child with problems is a problem, why are these people foster parents?"

Susan shook her head. "Don't take those words at face value. As I said before, some issues only come to light later in the process. You may have a child in your care who will exhibit predatory urges toward younger children six months after moving into your house. Extensive therapy may reveal that the child was sexually abused years before but had never been around younger children to mimic the actions. You truly never know."

Jess said nothing, though he felt anger swelling inside. How could someone prey on a child like that? This only made him more sure he and Natalie needed to become foster parents. It was a great way to prevent a child from suffering additional abuse at the hands of another.

Susan looked at the young married couple sitting before her. Jess could see she was trying to assess whether she had scared them off. "I know we've gone in circles talking about things but one thing I like to know is why someone is even interested in fostering."

Natalie told the story she told to Jess. Susan listened intently, smiling that a foster child had impressed the sympathetic soul onto another child and that those feelings never went away. Once they were done with Natalie's feelings, Susan turned to face Jess. "And you?"

Jess laughed lightly. "Well, to be honest, I never even considered it until Natalie broached the subject with me. Now, though, after hearing the stories you've shared, I have to say that I am very sure this is what we are meant to do. I had a dicey childhood myself. My father took off when I was young and my mother wasn't exactly a stellar influence. She shipped me off to live with my uncle when I was seventeen. At the time, I was angry and sought revenge any way I could. In time, though, I began to pay attention to the person my uncle was and decided that he is who I wanted to be. He took in an unwilling, uncooperative mule of a teenager and saw something in me that I never knew was there. Because of him, I have not only become an acceptable, productive member of society but I want to follow in his footsteps and help a child."

Though he knew it would be a while, Jess knew he would anxiously await the first call he and Natalie received.