Chapter 21

Lorelai searched the house for Rory, unsure of where she could be. Her bedroom was empty. So were the living room, kitchen, and bathroom. Her car was still parked outside, but she realized that Rory and Logan had walked to the diner last night. Calls to Rory's phone went unanswered. Where in the world is my daughter?

Unsure of what to do, Lorelai called the Dragonfly again and followed the prompts for guest rooms. She chose room four.

Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring.

A groggy female voice answered. "Hello?"

"Rory?"

"Mom? Why are you calling? Are you okay?" Rory's voice became more alert with each word.

Lorelai was happy to have located her child but was still somewhat frustrated to have not known where she was to begin with. "Huh, funny you should ask."

"Mom, it's after five in the morning. I don't have time for mind games. Stop playing the Kim Kardashian drama card and tell me why you're calling or I'm hanging up."

"I was worried! I never heard from you after you left for Lane's."

Realizing what her mother said was right, she immediately sat up in bed, fully awake. "Oh, I didn't. Sorry mom!" Rory filled Lorelai in on what had transpired. "So Odette is in the neighboring room and I just stayed with Logan in his room."

"Thank God! I called the inn earlier and Ricky told me Abby said Logan went upstairs with a blonde. I was afraid at what that meant."

Rory laughed. "Nope. All good. I just needed snacks."

"Well, you are my daughter."

*****

After finding that Rory was okay, Lorelai climbed the stairs. She had considered climbing back into bed but found that she was too awake. Instead, she took a shower, relaxing under the heat of the water. Once out, she got ready to head to the Dragonfly Inn, where she hadn't been since before she and Luke got married. And with Sookie back, it would finally feel right again.

Driving through town, memories from when Rory was small surfaced. It suddenly made her sad, knowing that she didn't savor many of the experiences with her daughter as she grew. She always assumed there would be another child...maybe two...so slowing down and taking in the smells, the looks, the emotions didn't necessarily resonate with her. This isn't to say she didn't pay special attention, because she did, but everything happened so fast. Lorelai was busy trying to make a career out of working at the Independence Inn while playing both mom and dad to Rory. It made for some things to not leave enough of an impression on her.

Several years ago, while she and Luke were content with the status quo, she believed deep down that they would have a child together. But the years kept passing with no talk, no effort to make it happen. She found she was nervous to ask Luke about it. Maybe that was because Christopher was so adamant that they have a second child when they were married. Lorelai didn't want to push Luke away so she stuck the desire for another baby in the back of her mind until, eventually, it was too late.

Luke mentioned referring to a young boy at a baseball game once, seemingly implying that he was letting Lorelai know he was ready. Even now, she had no idea how that innocuous comment was supposed to let her know anything, let alone that he wanted a baby. Why didn't he just come out and say it?

Why didn't I? She thought.

Last night, Luke was looking through the surrogacy binder. Maybe that meant the topic wasn't entirely off the table.

Maybe....