Chapter 97

Logan sat at his desk in his home office. He found some peace and quiet and forced himself to concentrate, spending the morning working through some files and getting things done that maybe had been neglected since Lora's arrival.

It was hard to believe that it was July. Time seemed to enter warp speed during the last few weeks of Rory's pregnancy, only picking up more after she gave birth. Some days, it didn't seem like they had already been parents for five weeks and other days, it seemed like they'd always known their daughter. Funny how when something is right, it doesn't seem like you'd ever been without it.

Feeling accomplished for the amount of work done, Logan reached for his phone. He had been meaning to check in with his oldest buddies for a couple weeks. Colin and Finn had come by the house to see Lora when she was a week old but Logan hadn't heard anything out of them since. Could be they've just gotten back into their old routines...or it could mean they're being held in some jail due to their stupidity.

He was not one to judge the actions of his imbecilic friends. Lord knows that it took way too long to get his own head on straight to make something of himself. However, now that he was in his early thirties, it didn't seem right to still be gallivanting around, living off daddy's money. He knew early in college that the hat he was destined to wear would be that of his father's. Only time would tell when that hat would be transferred from one to the other.

Pulling himself back to the present, Logan found Colin in his call log and tapped the screen to initiate a call.

"Yo ho ho, you have reached Colin. I'm busy escorting a lovely lady around a foreign city or am holed up in their jail. Try me again later because I doubt I return your call."

Logan laughed as he ended the call. Searching for Finn's number, he now tried his other friend.

Finn answered on the first ring. "'Ello there, old chum. How be the family?"

Laughing once more, Logan and Finn chatted for several minutes. Logan asked what Finn and Colin had been up to— surprise, surprise, they were in Paris chasing after Parisian women in a popular restaurant— and updated as to Rory and Lora.

Finn catcalled at a girl, followed by what Logan assumed was a slap. "That sounded like it hurt."

"It did, mate. I don't know what I did to deserve such a reaction."

"I'm guessing your hands ended up somewhere they weren't welcome."

Finn chuckled. "That's entirely possible but I still don't...oh my."

"See another prospect?" Logan asked as he smiled.

"Not exactly. I spy with my handsome eye someone from your past. And she isn't alone."

"What? Who?"

"Odette."

Logan didn't understand Finn's reaction. "Okay. She lives in Paris. I didn't think she'd be single forever. What's the problem?"

"It isn't a man she is with."

"Okay...?"

"It's a baby, chum. Odette is here with a baby."

*****

Jess felt on edge. It had been two days since he and Natalie had gotten the call for the foster child and no other information come through. They both had assumed they'd be contacted fairly quickly so they knew what the plan was but that hadn't been the case.

After Natalie got the call and left work, Jess met her at the mall and the two purchased a myriad of things to prepare for the three year old. It was hard to guess size without seeing the little girl but they went based off typical sizes to get her started with a new wardrobe to prevent having to drag her around to stores once she came. They also got her bedding and the normal necessities. They were as ready as they could possibly be.

So where was the call, saying she was on her way?

Fitting back the anxious feeling that had started invading his body, Jess got up and began walking around Truncheon Books. He visited with a few people while checking on various tasks to help occupy his mind. He was surprised that, before he realized it, an hour had passed.

Sitting back in his office, he pulled his phone out to check it once again. As he did it, the ringer alerted him to an incoming call from an unfamiliar number.

Taking a second to slow his heart rate, Jess answered. The caller identified herself as Sheila Davis, the caseworker who had called Natalie about a placement. Hoping the little girl would be in their home very soon, Jess fought against the excitement in his chest. Shelia explained that she tried calling Natalie first but she hadn't answered. He looked at the clock and relayed that his wife was in a mediation with her boss that was expected to last a couple more hours.

As Shelia continued speaking, Jess realized the purpose of the call. She was letting them know that the little girl he and Natalie had gone shopping for would not be placed with them after all, as the alleged neglect could not be substantiated.

Disappointment quickly replaced the excitement. Jess' thoughts quickly turned to his bride, who he knew would not handle this news well at all.