Chapter 47

Awaking the next morning, Rory saw it was half past seven. She got up and jumped in the shower, wanting to be ready for her mom and Sookie when they arrived.

As she made her way downstairs, hair still wet, Rory heard a knock on the door. She opened the door to find Lorelai and Sookie, arms brimming with coffee from Luke's and pastries from Weston's. "We come bearing gifts for the mother-to-be!"

Rory moved out of the way to allow her guests to enter the house. "Oh, I love you both!" They went to the kitchen and each selected a pastry and began nibbling while reaching for a coffee. Conversation came easily, making Rory appreciate these two wonderful women in her life.

Logan ventured in, sneaking a pastry before kissing Rory. "I'm going to be working from home today. If you need help, let me know."

As Lorelai took her last drink of coffee, her cell phone began to ring. It was Dr. Williams. She looked up at Sookie and Rory, her expression wordlessly communicating who the caller was.

"Hello?"

"Lorelai? It's Dr. Williams."

"Test results back already?"

"Actually, no. That's why I'm calling. The lab just contacted me to let me know they're backed up and they won't have a chance to test any of the samples our clinic sent until next week. It doesn't help that they're going to be closed for additional time due to Christmas being this weekend."

"Oh." Disappointment filled Lorelai. She desperately hoped to find out she was pregnant before Christmas so they could let go to celebrate without worry gripping them.

Sookie exchanged glances with Rory, clearly assuming the test was negative.

"I'm very sorry but maybe we'll have great news for you next week."

"Okay, thanks Dr. Williams. Talk to you soon." She ended the call and informed the others about the lab being backed up and about the extra closures.

"I'm sorry, Mom." Rory knew that nothing would make her mother feel any better.

"Want to do this another time?" Sookie offered.

"No, let's get started so Rory can be finished settling in."

"Want to let Luke know?" Rory asked.

"I'll send him a text really quick." She did just that, receiving his response within minutes. I'm sorry honey. Don't let this get you down. I love you.

The three ladies worked tirelessly for a few hours, moving dishes, silverware, utensils and other objects to places where Sookie assured were the perfect locations. Once they were done, Lorelai called Luke and placed lunch orders. Looking around the house, it dawned on her that there were no Christmas decorations up.

"Uh, Rory? Christmas is in four days. Why don't you have any decorations up?"

"I've been trying to get the house unpacked and organized. I haven't had time to buy anything, let alone decorate. I figure I'll go in the next couple days to get at least a tree."

"Oh my goodness. We are going on an urgent Christmas decoration run after we eat. I can't let my grandchild grow in a house with no Christmas decorations!"

Rory looked around. "I guess we are done with the kitchen so an afternoon of shopping with some of my favorite ladies may be just what's in order."

Lorelai leaned toward Sookie. "I'm fairly certain she meant to say with her 'favorite ladies', not with 'some' of her favorite ladies."

"Of course that's what I meant. Where was my head?"

Sookie grinned. "We can let it slide this time."

*****

Returning that evening, Lorelai helped Rory carry in her purchases. She asked Logan to grab the Christmas tree from the trunk. Once everything was in and unloaded on the kitchen island, they began finding places for the knick knacks, signs, and various decorations throughout the house. Rory walked into the large family room to find Logan putting up the artificial tree.

"I'm surprised you didn't get a real tree." Logan was moving around the tree, fluffing up branches.

"Christmas is less than a week away. I felt it would be a waste to cut down a tree for that."

Logan nodded as Lorelai brought in boxes of lights and ornaments. Between the three of them, the tree was lit and full of various shapes and sizes of bulbs within an hour.

A knock on the door pulled their attention away. Rory moved to the foyer and turned the door knob. Luke was waiting on the other side.

"Hey, just wanted to catch up with your mom. I assume she is here."

"Marco!" Lorelai yelled.

Luke walked into the family room behind Rory. "Hey Polo."

Lorelai greeted her husband with a kiss. "Having Caesar close up tonight?"

"Yeah. I was afraid you would be upset from the call so I wanted to make sure I was home tonight."

Smiling, Lorelai put her arms around Luke's neck. "I am bummed but there is nothing I can do about it. So I am trying to keep myself busy."

Luke looked around. "I noticed it looked like Santa threw up in here."

Logan spoke up. "I nearly forgot— want to go check out the desk? It was delivered a couple hours ago."

Rory jumped up. "Yes!" She took off for the office she was setting up in the back of the house. She entered the room, a grin filling her face. Her eyes danced as they studied the desk, fitting perfectly in the space.

Lorelai, coming up behind her daughter, rested her hands on Rory's shoulders. "The desk is meant to be here. Grandpa would be honored that you found a place for it in your home."

Rory reached up and gripped one of her mother's hands. "I know. It makes me feel like he is here with me."

"That's because he is, kid."

Luke and Logan had joined the girls. Logan looked around and offered a suggestion. "I have an idea. What if we grab a bite to eat and hunker down in the living room to watch a Christmas movie? We can make hot cocoa later and just enjoy the holiday season."

Jumping at the suggestion, Rory was beaming. "Let's face it— we have all have been very stressed the last few weeks. Focusing on Christmas may be what we all need to finally relax."

Everyone agreed, and once settled in the living room with dinner, they chose and began a movie. However, as hard as she tried focus on Miracle on 34th Street, Lorelai couldn't help but think about the test results.