Chapter 77

Luke pulled his old truck to a stop in front of Logan and Rory's house. He turned and looked at his wife, who was glowing. The ultrasound was successful, revealing to them the genders of the babies. He could see the excitement written all over her face.

Reaching for the door handle, Lorelai hesitated. "Still good on the names we discussed?"

Luke smiled, his eyes meeting hers. "Absolutely. Ready to share our news?"

"Absolutely," Lorelai said, mimicking her husband.

The couple moved toward the front door, which was standing open with Rory waiting on the landing. "It's about time, you two! Your appointment was hours ago!"

"I texted you that the doctor got called to the hospital. We waited for a couple hours and ended up getting in as we were going to reschedule."

Rory offered a weak smile. "I left my phone upstairs and didn't have the energy to walk up and get it."

Logan, who was within earshot, heard Rory's response. "You could have asked me. I would have gone up and grabbed it."

"You do so much for me as it is. I hated asking you to do something as unimportant as grabbing my phone."

Logan slid his arm around Rory's back. "I'm here for you for anything, Ace. Anything at all."

Rory laid her head on Logan's shoulder. "I appreciate that. You've been so wonderful throughout the pregnancy."

Logan kissed Rory's forehead. "Yes, well, I love you." The statement was simple, but Lorelai felt complete joy that Rory had found her way back to Logan. Their relationship had taken some drastic turns over the years but, if their current state was any indication, it was evident that they were meant to be with one another.

Holding up her hands, Lorelai drew attention to herself. "Okay, folks, are we ready to get to the reason for this little shindig?"

Rory turned to face her mother and noticed that here step-father was smiling from ear to ear. "Yes, yes, yes! Let's have it, Mom!"

"Not so fast. I think we should eat before we—"

"I highly disagree, Lorelai." Emily walked closer to Lorelai, anticipation showing on her features. "I know it's your news to tell but it's my news to hear and I'm ready to hear it now."

Luke chuckled. "They do have a point, Lorelai. Maybe you should just spill the beans and we can talk about those beans during lunch."

Lorelai smiled, realizing that everyone was as eager to learn the babies' sexes as she was hours ago. "Okay, okay. I suppose it would only be fair to let you all in on my and Luke's little secret about what gender the babies are. You've all been so patient with my mood swings and bloating and I do want to thank you—"

"Lorelai!" Emily scolded, clearly seeing that her daughter was trying to draw out the moment as long as she could.

Holding up her hands in mock defeat, Lorelai laughed. "Fine, fine!" She turned to face Luke. "Do you want to reveal one and I'll reveal the other?"

Luke moved closer to Lorelai. "No, you tell both. I'll gladly make this as much of your moment as I can." He leaned down and kissed his beautiful wife, resulting in a few cheers from the onlookers.

Sookie was standing beside Jackson, looking ready to burst. "Come on already!"

Jackson grinned. "I'm surprised, Luke. Why didn't you want to wait until the babies were born to find out what they were?"

Luke shifted his gaze to Jackson. Pointing to Lorelai, he answered, "Someone didn't want to."

Everyone laughed and Lorelai realized her moment had arrived.

"As you all know, we only wanted healthy babies so the genders didn't really matter to us. That being said, I'm happy to announce that—" Lorelai paused for effect, watching the faces of those close to her— "baby number one is a girl—"

Cheers moved through the small group. After everyone had calmed, they awaited the revelation of the second baby.

Seeing an enormous grin spread across Lorelai's face, she was sure the gender could easily be guessed. "And baby number two is a boy!"

Loud, enthusiastic excitement erupted. Lorelai was thrilled that she would have another daughter to raise but she knew Luke was ecstatic to finally have a son. Heck, so was she.

A son and a daughter.

Life couldn't get any better.

*****

Everyone moved to the kitchen and dining area for a light lunch. As they ate, talk began of things needed for the babies. Luke and Lorelai decided against having a baby shower, despite the costs they'd foot for getting the house set up for the twins. Lorelai argued that they were busy planning Rory's shower, which was less than two weeks away, so trying to plan another for her would cut it too close, especially since the chances of her going into labor early were higher between her age and the fact that she was carrying two babies.

Emily was quiet. She listened to the banter but was mostly lost in her own world. She knew that while Luke and Lorelai could afford everything for their soon-to-arrive bundles of joy, she didn't want them to be strapped and have to sacrifice in other areas of their lives.

Little did they know, Emily had already connected with Tom to pay for the addition to the Danes' home. All bills were being routed to her and she was promptly writing checks to cover all costs. She strictly told the contractor that no cost was to be spared, that she wanted Luke and Lorelai to have exactly what they wanted.

Another idea was forming. There was a charming baby shop in Hartford. They had everything expectant parents could want or need. She decided that she would drop by the store and put down a large deposit in Lorelai's name so that she could pick every last feature for the babies' nursery that she could possibly want.

Without realizing it, a smile had creeped onto her lips. It was visible to Rory, who was seated to her right.

Rory leaned close to Emily, whispering, "You look like the cat who swallowed the canary, Grandma. What are you thinking about?"

"Oh, nothing. Just happy that your mother is happy." Emily hoped she was convincing but judging by the doubt that crossed Rory's face, she knew she wasn't.

Rory, however, didn't push for the real answer. Instead, she turned to Luke and Lorelai. "So, have you two picked names for my brother and sister?"

Caught off guard with Rory's comment, tears popped into Lorelai's eyes. "Your brother and sister. I love that."

Luke rubbed Lorelai's back. "It's perfect. It's absolutely perfect. Just like the names we chose," he said, indirectly responding to Rory's question.

Forks were held silently as everyone waited for the babies' names to be said.

Luke and Lorelai exchanged a glance. She held up her hand in a gesture for him to tell everyone the babies' names.

Clearing his throat, Luke smiled. "Our daughter's name is Gabriella Emily and our son's name is Elijah Richard."