three

-Rebecca's p.o.v-

CJ walked to her seat and I smiled at her without saying a word. She weakly smiled back and sat down in her chair. Her eyes looked dark today. They looked sadder than when I first met her. I pushed all those thoughts of of my mind and got my things out for my class. As my teacher spoke I half listened half watched CJ. She wrote notes as the teacher spoke that was mostly filled with doodles and had a few short sentences. Most of the drawings on her paper were very random, like hands holding or an eye crying. I admired the detail of her work, everything she made spoke to me even if it was something so simple. As class came to an end CJ poked my arm.

"Can I bum a pencil? Mine is out of led." She said and I nodded handing her the pencil I was currently using. She chuckled and thanked me before getting back to her work. As the week went on we had more little encounters like that. Small talk at the beginning of class or cracking jokes about kids in our class. Eventually we got to a point where we'd talk almost the whole period, and our teacher hated us for it. It was funny though, every time we spoke it was like her eyes got a little brighter. Her smile got a little bigger. He laugh got a little louder. And her wall slowly began to fall lower and lower.

---

I started at my new school really early in the year, so it wasn't that weird making new friends since there were loads of new kids starting the same time as me. By December I was friends with most of the girls on the cheer team, some girls from the tennis team, and a few other people from random groups. And then there was CJ. We had gotten really close over the course of the term. We would talk during our class we had together, sometimes in between classes and a few times even at lunch, but we had never been to each others houses. I had wanted to ask a few times I wont lie, but I felt like if I asked her wall would shoot straight back up and she'd drift away, so I waited. And right before Christmas break I thought I'd have to wait a little while longer until she asked me if I'd like to go buy some gifts with her then head over to her house. I was ecstatic, I loved going shopping but going shopping with CJ would be even more fun. I happily agreed and we set to do it the Friday before break started. When that day finally rolled around, I went to school with a full wallet and full heart. I planned on getting CJ a gift whilst we shopped and surprising her since we were both going to a Christmas party a mutual friend was throwing. The school day that Friday seemed to drag on for an eternity, but when the last bell finally rang I rushed out to my car to wait for CJ so we could head off. As I unlocked my car I spotted CJ across the parking lot talking to another girl. I assumed it was a friend of hers until I saw her lean in and kiss her and I got a glimpse of her face. I recognised her. It was CJ's girlfriend.