seventeen

-Rebecca's p.o.v.-

All of my classes were just people talking. Since it's the last day before break, no one was doing work. And the teachers weren't really trying to stop them from goofing off anyway. I think they were as ready for the break as we were. The day seemed to drag on, and when lunchtime came around I felt like it couldn't come fast enough. I rushed to my spot and CJ was already sitting there. Did she get out of class early? I sat down next to her and she seemed happy.

"Hey you get out of class early?" I asked as I picked at her chips she had on the table.

"I walked out to use the bathroom and didn't come back. So I guess you could say that." She joked. I laughed.

"That's cool. I can see you're in a good mood." I commented.

"Yeah I am. I don't really know why though. Just feeling chipper. I guess because my classes were really chill no one is doing work so I'm not stressed." She said and I laughed and nodded along.

"Same in all my classes. It's been kind of a slow day though which sucks." I said.

"Yeah." CJ said and she trailed off. I reached into my bag and started writing as soon as she hopped on her phone. She looked up and saw me writing.

"Why do you write like you need it to survive. Day and night you're writing. What are you writing about? Can I read it...." CJ asked and tried to peek at my notebook. I slammed it shut.

"You can read my notebook when I'm dead. It's so personal, I've never let anyone read my personal writing." I said and CJ rolled her eyes and sighed dramatically.

"You trust me don't you?" She asked and raised her eyebrow. I sighed and as soon as I did the lunch bell rang. It was time to go back to class. We both laughed and looked at each other.

"We'll continue this later." CJ said and pointed her finger out at me. I pushed her shoulder playfully and we went to our classes.

My last class was a drag. It felt like it lasted an eternity, and when it was over I rushed out of my class to my car and waited for CJ. I waited five minutes. Ten minutes. Fifteen. She wasn't there. I got out and started looking for her, and I saw her walking toward me. I couldn't see her face that well, but she was coming from the locker room area. As she got closer I saw her face had bruises and her lip was busted. Despite her scrapes and bruises her face was emotionless. She walked past me and didn't say a word. I ran back to her and I put a hand on her back. She turned around and I could see she was crying.

"What's wrong?" I asked quietly. Tears ran down her cheek and she grabbed my shirt and pulled me close to her in attempts to hug me but it seemed like she couldn't. I wrapped my arms around her. She hugged me tightly without saying a word. The only thing she could do was cry.