Someone Else's Son Pt. 3

For the next few weeks, everything seemed to be all right for Lachlan. Vik reported that his friend wasn't coming to school hungry in the morning anymore. Mr. Power showed up for the football games and stayed. He avoided socialising with the other parents and left as soon as the children left the field. It wasn't a perfect situation, but it was the best they could hope for. Unfortunately, it fell apart the day of the last football game.

Vik and Lachlan were blocking for Preston in the goal. Rob and Jerome came down the field with the ball and tried to score. Lachlan's dad was on the sidelines yelling for his son to get in front of the ball and stop them from scoring. Jerome took control of the ball and approached the younger boy. Lachlan instinctively shied away from the boy as he remembered the bloody nose from the last time he got in front of one of the bigger boy's goal attempts.

As soon as the game was over, Lachlan's father charged across the field. The slight child cringed before the man. JJ started across the field to where Vik was standing behind his friend comforting him. Vik understood completely that Lachlan didn't want to get hurt by the ball again.

"Let's go!" Tom Power growled at the boy.

"Mr. Power, the team is getting together at the pizza place to celebrate the end of the season, we would appreciate if you would bring Lachlan," JJ said as soon as he was within earshot.

"I have plans," the man replied rudely as he turned on his heel and stormed away. Little Lachlan cast a wistful look at Vik before following the retreating back of his father.

As soon as the gear was loaded, the boys were placed in their seats. Cal and Deji waved as they backed out of their parking spaces. When their other friend's car didn't move, Simon looked around for the man.

"Did you see where Callux got off to?" Simon asked.

"He was headed for the toilets a couple of minutes ago to wash his hands," JJ answered.

"Does he know where we're meeting?"

"If he doesn't, he'll call."

But their friend never did make the pizza place that evening and the next morning, Saturday, the phone at the farmhouse rang. Simon looked up from the paper he was reading as Harry handed him the phone.

"Hello?"

"Si, I thought you should know that Lachlan Power was taken into protective custody again last night," Callux announced.

"And how would you know that mate?"

"I saw it Si, I followed him and saw the abuse and I had to call and report what I'd seen. I stuck around long enough to hear them call for a caseworker to pick up the child. I recommended that they contact Cal and Samantha; that they'd recently been approved as foster parents. The woman who took the boy said that she would consider them."

"Thanks for letting me know. I'll explain it to the boys." Simon hung up the phone with a heavy heart. He knew it would upset Vik and Harry. On an impulse, he called the other Cal first.

"Hello?" Sam said, puzzled that the phone rang again so soon after hanging it up.

"Sam, it's Simon." Before he could say anything more, she interrupted him.

"Simon, I just got the call, we're getting Lachlan, as soon as the worker gets the paperwork together. Do you want to talk to Cal?"

"Please. And Sam? Thanks," Simon said.

After inviting Cal to bring the family out later in the day, he hung up the phone and went to inform JJ of the situation. They sat down with the boys to break the news. Vik took the news well after hearing that Lachlan was going to be staying with Cal. Harry only sighed and leaned closer to Simon. Vik asked if his friend could stay the night and JJ explained that it would have to wait a while.