Chapter 2

I sat there, tapping my foot against the floor boards; impatiently.

"Dearie," Grandma said, "everything is going to be alright."

I shook my head and jumped up from my bed. "What if Lissa hates me? For leaving her, there, alone?"

Grandma knew that that wasn't the real question I wanted to ask. "How about you ask about the real thing on your mind, dearie?"

It was a worry of mine, but it didn't talk the top prize. I licked my lips and sat back down on the bed. "W-what if I run into..." I couldn't say his name. I haven't been able to for a while. "Him?"

"Dimitri?" I nodded. "Well, what are you concerned about?"

I sit back down on the bed, "He's the only man I've ever cared about, really and truly cared about..." I sighed, "What if I run into him, can't control my feelings; break down! What if he has forgotten all about me, or hates me, or..." I said just above a whisper, "W-what if he asks me about Damon and Mariah? What if he makes the connection? What will I tell him? I... The last thing I want to do is hurt him, but I don't want to tell him... I can't have him in my life, just seeing him when he sees the kids.... that's not an option!"

"Rose," Granny said stopping my babbling from continuing, "how about you just call the institute and ask if he is going to be there? Like you said, a lot of time has pasted, maybe he is on a mission, or maybe he's not even there."

She takes my hand and I squeeze back, "I don't know if he's not there, and feel relieved, or disappointed," I confess.

"Make the call," she urged me. "What ever you think, I'll stand with you. Have I ever not believed you, or not stood by your decision?"

I shook my head. Even when I told her about Vampires roaming the world, and that I was chosen to protect the good Vamps, she believed me when I had told her about me and what my children would be.

"Is Rae okay with the change? I don't know if I should rip you away from your home?"

She smiled at me kindly, "Don't worry about us, how are the kids doing with this change?" I looked at them sitting on the ground playing with each other.

"They're fine," I said smiling too, "I just don't know why, or how St. Vlad's could have tracked me down!"

She shrugged not knowing either, "I can't loose the Inn, so I will be staying here, but Racheal is excited to go with you and meet your... family?"

I scoffed, "She won't be meeting jack swat, I'm not having her being compelled into a feeder."

My fingers traced through my hair, pushing it out of my face.

"Honey, what's wrong?" she said kindly.

"What if he's married, or something? What am I going to tell the kids? Or what if he has kids of his own? I just..." My head falls into my hands. "I just wish I knew what to do."

She held me in a comforting way, "Racheal is going to be there. every step of the way. Someone that you can connect with and gossip with when you feel lost. You know my vote, I think that he should at least know, but if you don't want him to, then I will not argue and neither will Racheal. I will be a phone call away if you need to talk, and if school is too hard for you, then I will haul ass to come pull you out of there."

"Grandma!" I said excitedly, seeing of how she never, ever cussed.

She laughed along with me and patted my back. "Just follow your heart, it will lead you in the right direction." She said after being quiet for a while, "When do you leave?"

I swallowed and glanced at the bag in the corner of the room that was already packed and ready to go. "Sundown."