Chapter 6

I got the kids an education to learn something while we were here. I told them how they could be themselves and not hide anything, not even their fangs, and if they were scared, then they can call me and I'll be there in seconds.

"Be good," I told them, sending them off to school. As soon as they were about to walk into the building, they turn back and kiss me good-bye.

It was one of those moments that no one would understand but a mother. It kind of just melted our hearts, and made us go 'Awww'.

Kivora called a meeting, to talk about the Strigoi walking in the daylight. While Rae went off to her job in the city, working at a Solon.

I walked up to the office where the meeting was beening held. A lot of men in robes were there, Kivora herself, Lissa, Christan, and of course her guardian, Alberta.

"Thank you, for being so late, Miss Hathaway... somethings never change." I rolled my eyes and sat down.

"Shall we just get down to busniess?" Lissa said sitting at the end of the table that was cloest to me.

"Strigoi have found a way to walk in the sunlight, do we know 'how' yet?" Nobody answered me. "Does anyone have any theroies?" Everyone blinked at the exact same moment like I have lost my mind.

"Okay," I sat down next to Lissa, "I think that something must be progressing in their blood stream in order to have them stop bursting in sunlight."

"Thank you, Hathaway, for the insight," Kivora said scarcastically lie she knew that already.

"Well what do you think is happening, Kivora?" She was silent.

"I think we need facts, not theories," I couldn't aruge with that and didn't.

Everyone started to voice their opionon after that, not being too afraid to speak up. Some of the ideas just seemed ridicious, as other's were reasonably fair of an idea.

Lissa sat there, listening to everything that was being said. Her hand slipped into Christians as they shared a quick smile.

How boring, Lissa thought, but important....

Time passed, and hour, then three, and then five. I started to wonder about how Damon was doing. He was the quiet type, who didn't talk a lot; unless of course it was to people he knew, and then the troblue would be getting him to shut up... Mariah would already have a hanful of friends. I smiled as my phone rang in my pocket.

"Hathaway, this is an importanting meeting, take it out in the hall."

I nodded and got up, removing myself from the room of tensified thoughts, when something more tense hit my gaze from below.

His duster ran behind him, hair hanging in his face, exactly the same way as I had remembered him. Most importantly, some times late at night, when I was having trouble sleeping, and couldn't remember what was real and what wasn't, I thought I had imagined how enchanting his eyes were, but I had not. Even those lips of his, that smile he flashed only me full of sincerity and charm.

Something about him though... has indeed changed. Not the color of his eyes, or the beauty of his lips, but both of them just seemed... off. I always saw through that thick armour of this, I wondered if I could do it now. I stuidied his face from the widow I was seeing out of. He had dark shadows under his eyes that told me he was hasn't gotten a proper good night of sleep in a... while. His mouth was turned downward in a grim line, showing no happiness. I wondered what was such a depressing thought.

My phone buzzed in my hand as I flipped it open and backed away from the window so he couldn't see me.

"Hathaway," I said clearing my throat.

"Mummy? You said I could call if I wanted to go home or be with you..." Mariah said quietly.

The phone was passed on to Damon, "Can you come get me? I don't feel well..."

I took off running before I said, "I'm alomst there, just sit tight, buddy, I'll be there soon."

While I ran out of the hallway and across the yard where he was moments ago, I couldn't help how much more complicated things will now be.

I saw him walk down a hallway I was passing through; I glanced his way as the guardians around him started to wonder what just passed by in a blur.

My eyes locked with his for a moment. Dimitri...