Chapter 9

“Yes,” I said hoarsely, “Yes... They are.” My eyes were looking at Mariah and Damon stare at Dimitri.

Mariah’s feet push into motion and she said, “Come on, Damon; let’s leave Mummy alone with Stranger.”

Dimitri’s face was unreadable. Shock was there, dropping the corners of his mouth.

I stood up, facing him, waiting to hear what he had to say. I honestly had no idea.

Dimitri put his palms together and touched his lips. He started to pace.

“Why didn’t... Were you ever going to tell me about him? About her? You weren’t.”

“No,” I said not feeling sorry, “I wasn’t.”

“Yeah, well he’s my kid too so you don’t get to make that kind of decision by yourself!”

I started at him. “Wow...” I said, “and uh, why was I supposed to tell you this? You didn’t love me, and I wasn’t going to force you to. I left before I knew I was pregnant, and I wasn’t going to come back just because I was. Yes, they are you’re biological children, but you didn’t want them, you didn’t even know it was possible to have children with me. So let’s not get confused whose fault it is.”

“I am the only one allowed to be angry in this situation!”

I took a step toward him. “How is that?!”

“Because... I didn’t even know! You could have told me!”

“And said what? ‘Oh, hi Dimitri, remember me? A long lost love... When I went to the Academy, we hooked up, and somehow, don’t ask me how, cause I have no idea how this happened, but I’m pregnant! You’re the father! I just wanted to let you know even though you’ll never, ever see your kids. Have a good day, I hope I didn’t ruin you’re life.’” I squinted at him with my mouth ajar in a ‘You’re-kidding-me-right’?

“Why wouldn’t have you let me see them? They’re mine too.” His voice was quiet as he took a step toward me.

“You...” I didn’t want his pity, I didn’t want anything from him. “Because if I did return, then people would 1. Know I have kids and 2. Start to ask who the father is. Who would I blame it on? Jesse?”

He flinched. “I would think you’d tell the truth.”

“Then you’re job would be turned to ash, and then you’d be disgraced. I wasn’t going to do that, not to you. I wasn’t going to come back here, ever, until I got some call from Kivora about how Strigoi are walking in the day after I saw it for my own eyes.”

Dimitri asked, “You got attacked by Strigoi? Are you okay?”

“Why do you care?” I heard the words come out of my mouth fast. I pull away from his grip and see as my kids down the hall walk into the room.

“Because I wouldn’t want to leave our kids without a mother.”

I scoffed, “You might be their bio. father, but they are my kids. I raised them. They know me. They call me mom. They already have a father figure.” They do? A voice cried inside me.

“They do?” Dimitri looked hurt.

“Look, I don’t want you in their lives, cause after this assignment, then we are out of here, and moving back to Iowa.”

“That’s where you have been all this time? Iowa?”

I nodded. “Why?”

“Cause I checked everywhere else, but Iowa,” he laughed a little bit. “Look, Rose, you can’t make these decisions alone now. I’m their father, and that’s not true about me not wanting kids. I’ve just wanted them with the right person.”

I said, “Well then I should have lied.”

“No,” he said, “I would have figured out that I’m the father. They do look like me.”

I shrugged, “Yeah, but-“

“Listen, Rose, I want to be involved in their lives. I’m their father. I want-“

“Old wounds will just reopen if I let you in their lives. Into my life.” I swallow back tears.

“I’m not going to-“ Dimitri reached out but I pulled away again.

“You’ve already hurt me enough for two life times. I am taking them back home where they belong after the world is safe again. I thought you weren’t here, I was counting that you wouldn’t be here, that’s the only reason why.”

Dimitri looked hurt but he put on his guardian face that was bullet proof. “I have a right to be in their lives. I’m their father.”

I didn’t have anything to say. “Let’s make them make the decision. If they want to get to know you, fine, if they don’t, we are leaving and going back to Iowa when this is all over.”

He nodded. “What are their names?”

“Damon and Mariah,” I said putting a hand on his shoulder.

“Why Mariah?”

“Their Grandmother loves the name.”

“Grandmother? Your Mom-“

I shook my head and corrected myself, “The people I’ve lived with are two women. One very old and people have called her Grandma. She picked the name.”

Dimitri seemed to question my choice of who I let my children around. “Why Damon?”

“The name reminded me of you. You always said that if you had a son, his name would be Damon.” Dimitri smiled.

“Thank you,” he said quietly.

“It was the least I could do.” We stood their looking at each other for a while and then I said, “My son is sick, I need to get going.”

“Of course,” he said probably wondering if he should come help.

“Tell Lissa that he’s sick, I’ll need some blood for him.”

“He drinks blood?” he said.

“Oh, Dimitri,” I sighed, and nodded, “tell Lissa that. Oh, and also that Rae can spend the night with me tonight.”

“Ray?” he said. I nodded again.

“Rae should be here in a little while. Tell Lissa to move Rae’s things into my room.”

“You and Ray sleep together?”

I leveled my hand. “On occasions.”

’On occasions’?” he sounded strange and I couldn’t find out what was troubling him about my best friend.

“Yeah. Dimtri, I have to go, just tell her okay?” I said running down the hall.

What was his problem that he had with Rae?