Chapter 7

He could have just thought that he was seeing things, but I wondered what he was really thinking at that second. His face was stunned for a moment, shocked, and more than ever confused.

I push the thoughts away as I ran into the building.

I pass signs of lunch calendars, and kid contests. Happy colors like red, pink, blue, and yellow. I pass teacher lables that were posted on the side of the door and stop when I get to the one I was looking for.

I ran up to the teacher, almost bumping into her. "Where are my kids?" I asked eggerly.

The adult was about to say something when I hear, "Mommy!" Mariah said running up to me and hugging my legs/

"Hey babby," I said to her, "where's your twin?" She points over to Damon, lying on his back on the ground.

I scoop him up in my arms and start to carry him out the door, passing on the messeage that he won't be back for the rest of the day.

"Buddy," I said quietly, "what hurts?"

"My head, Mommy, I seeing the most horrible things" He whimpers, "I see..."

"Shh..." I coo in his ear cutting him off, "It's okay, Momma's here. I'll protect you," my fingers went up into his hair, massaging his head as I looked down at Mariah.

"When did he start hurting?" I asked looking down at her brown eyes.

Mariah bit her lip as she walked colse behind me. "9:12," she said confidently.

I stop rubbing the back of his head and slip my hand to the front to check his temperature. His was a little hot, which was to be expected. He sniffles and coughs and bit pushing himself closer to me.

My eyes were on my daughter, instead of the road, so I wasn't too surprised when I ran into a broad chest.

"Oh my," I said touching's Damon's head tenderly trying and failing to take back that little bump, "I'm so sorry, I wasn't look at the road-"

"Rose," his accent made me fall numb. Made my whole being start to shake with thoughts like, 'Oh my god!' You know, actually my thoughts didn't even get that far. I was just frozen to this spot on the ground.

"Roza?"

It was like everything after that happened in slow motion. Mariah cowered back behind my leg, hiding half of her face. I didn’t want to look at him; didn’t know which card to play. The ‘I forgot all about you’ card, or, ‘I’m still in love with you,’ but the right card somewhere in between there.

 My eyes traveled up to meet his. I blink and take a deep breath trying to push away the feelings that was threatening to break through.

He was looking down at me, his face full of wonder and confusion.

Flashbacks come to me of all our history. How we first met, our first kiss, training sessions, me wondering off to fight Strigoi by with Mason. Dimitri finding me, comforting me. Telling me he loves me.

My bady wearns to be in his arms again, how I wish he still loved me... but he didn't. I wanted to relive our kisses, and sweet little moments, but I couldn't.

Pushing those thoughts away, my mouth runs dry, but I manage to choke out, "Dimitri.”