Chapter 15

My face went slack as my finger lifted up and touched the smooth stream of water.

"Somebody pinch me," I said as my thoughts started to flow again.

"I got the blood!" Lissa said running in through the door as Mariah just put the water back down into the fossett like it was nothing.

"Honey," I said still a little frozen, "can you please get two cups and feed some to Damon. I'm gonna go... step out here with Lissa and Dimitri."

Dimitri was frozen too in surprised but shot up at the second he might have answers.

"What was that?" he asked.

"What's wrong?" Lissa asked next.

"Okay, yeah, right... Okay!" I was the slightest bit hysteical. "I should have seen this comming, right? I mean, my kids drink blood, and they are having strange dreams of my past, and now, not only does Mariah have one element of magic, she has two!" I start laughing and slowly I realize it was the darkness pulling me back again. I haven't felt it in so long, but I need to pull it back now.

"What!" Lissa screamed causing two fellow Guardians to stare at us and give us concerning looks.

"I think it's safe to say that Damon has the other two," I added with a shrug.

We all kind of stood there, in the middle of the hallway as we took this in. Tears sprang into my eyes as I realized how different my children are.

"Why is this happening to my kids? Why are they so different?" I sighed and wiped under my eyes. I'm not going to cry even if I feel like it.

"Do you remember what you said when I said I didn't specialize?" Lissa said taking my hand, her voice was soothing and sincere. "You said that I was different because I had God's favor. You said my difference would accomplish great things, and I have. You're kids will do the same. Everything will be fine, Rose. Don't worry."

"How can I not worry when my kids are in constant danger! And now, we just learned that the whole freakin' race of Vampier's is in danger because of some stupid Spirit users that can't control their magic!" I let my anger go, the darkness snapped out of me and I sighed apologized immeadently when I noticed that Lissa took a little bit offense at this. She waved it away know I didn't mean to hurt her.

"Wait," Dimitri cut in, "What Spirit users?"

I scold myself for not telling him, but there wasn't a lot of time and a whole lot of drama. "Remember when Lissa turned you back? How there was that time she was pulled you back out of the darkness?"

He nods, and says after wincing, "It's not like I could forget even if I wanted to."

"Well, Spirit users stop in the middle of the transformation. Not in the light or in the dark, kind of like in the shadows. They don't completely transform Strogoi back into human, Dhampir, whatever. They still have their strength, speed, but now, they can walk in the sun, their red eyes are gone, and-"

"They can get inside the wards," he noted.

"We are screwed," I said dropping any hope of being a opptimist.

"Not yet," Dimitri said. "Does silver effect them still?"

"I staked one back in Boone," I confirmed.

"Well," Lissa chimed in, "if we can kill them before they kill us, there is still hope."

"I like how we are depending on hope to save the race of the Vampires," I said nonchalantly.

"Not hope, miracles," Lissa corrected me and I smiled back.

"I don't believe in miricles, but that might just be worse!"

Dimitri smiled too, "It's a good thing we have Rose's amazing body here too remind us not to believe in guardian angels."

I laughed at that remembering how I first discovered Lissa had healed me. Dimitri had given me my first present, lipgloss. Funny, I still use the same color, and buy the same kind of gentle red.

I glance through the window that allowed me to see into the bedroom. Damon was up and drinking out of the clear glass. Mariah was holding the cup to his lips, helping him. I'm so blessed to have such children.

"What are we going to do?" I looked up at Dimitri, his gentle deep eyes peering down at me. We were thinking the same way, the same things and swallowed and said, "Whatever reason they have these powers... I can't help but feel like nothing good can come of it."

Dimitri guarded our children with his dark eyes full of worry and protection. Honestly, he said, "Neither can I."