Chapter 26

The next morning I woke up, dreading the day. Today is the day Rae goes home . Yesterday after the “situation“ Lissa did compel her to forget and remember what I wanted.

I want Rae safe , I want her at home with Grandma and her boyfriend far, far away from all of this craziness. I want her life to be normal.

I get up and decide to call grandma , I still haven’t told her Rae is coming home , so I guess its now or never. I grab my phone and decide to creep down the stairs to the backyard to make the call.

I close the door behind me and dial the number, on the fourth ring she picks up.

“Rose? How are you my dear?“ She was licking her finger, probably cleaning them of the pancake batter she made for the bed and breakfast customers.

“I’m good grandma,“ I clear my throat and say hoping she can’t  hear the sorrow in my voice .

“That’d be good if I actually believed you.” I could tell she was grinning on the other end. “What’s wrong, Rose?”

I should have known I can’t hide anything from her, I think. I jump into the story about Damon and the fire; I tell her all the way up to Lissa compelling her to sleep .

“You compelled my granddaughter to forget that you were a Vampire? You played with her thoughts?”

I could hear the disappointment in her voice. “I’m so sorry, Grandma, I just thought it would be the best. You didn’t see her, you weren’t there, you would have thought that my decious was the best one to make. She can go home, be happy. Be with you!”

“You shouldn’t make that decision for her, Rose!” Grandma turned all her attention to me, I could tell by the tray she slammed onto the counter.

“Are you upset?” I asked lightly.

“No, I’m disappointed and hurt, there’s a difference,” Grandma sounded tired on the other end.

“I had Lissa compel her to forget everything,” I swallow. “She’s coming home today, I was so close to telling her, four letter’s away to be exact and then Damon threw a fireball and it got out of hand. I just couldn't have her going off and thinking that I’m a freak I guess. More importantly, I can’t have her not safe. She’s better off this way, maybe someday I can tell her, but not right now.”

“You said it’s better for her, but are you sure you’re not lying to yourself?” Grandma’s voice didn’t hold any anger anymore.

“I don’t know…” I said honestly. “But I think this way I can focus on not keeping up with my stories and protect Lissa. And, this way no one will come after you to get to me, and you won’t ever have to deal with my crazy ass again,” I laugh but it was one full of sadness

“That’s not what I want,” Granny said with sincerity.

“I know it’s not what I want either, my kids will lose two of the most important people in their life but it’s the necessary thing to do for you. To keep you safe.”

I hear footsteps from inside, I look through the back door and see Rae.

“Rose, no, this isn’t what-”

I shut the phone off, killing the line, and I put phone in my pocket walking inside. I see Rae sitting watching TV with Victoria . She looks up and smiles at me and I force a smile back.

“Mornin’ Rose,“ she said and yawned.

“Looks like you’re not up yet,” I say , then head into the kitchen for coffee, thankfully Oleana made some. She hands me a cup and hands it over with a warm smile. I sit down at the table and she goes back to cooking breakfast throwing the words of the only real mother I had over her shoulder.

“So, everyone is telling you what or what not to do, I presume?” she asked lightly.

“Yes, I guess. You’re the only real mother I’ve ever had,” I admit, “what do you think?”

“The real question is, ‘What do you really think’? You know what you’re ‘supposed to do’ and ‘what isn’t right’ but you’re a guardian. Guardian’s listen to their heart, and consult their head… You should do the same, that’s what I think.”

Rae comes in and sits across from me .

I close my eyes for a brief moment, and then I pull my Guardian mask up, “Did you pack?” I ask Rae.

“Yeah… I’m gonna miss you!“ she leans over and hugs me.

“I’ll come visit soon,“ I lie. That’s probably the biggest lie ever, because I honestly don’t know if I’ll ever see her again.

She smiles, and Damon and Mariah come in saying good morning to everyone and ask Rae go play with them one last time. Rae gives a quick “Of course,“ and goes off with them.

I finish my coffee and decide to go change and go take a shower. We have 3 more hours until Ray’s flight. And I need to distance myself before she abandoned me too, just like everybody else I know.

What’s worse is that maybe I’m pushing them away…