Chapter 13

I sat there and talked to Adrain for hours in the court yard, just getting out everything that has happened.

"That's crazy," he said once I was finished. "And what's even more crazy is how touchy-touchy you've become with your friend."

I shrugg, "I guess that when she was there for me, I needed someone to be able to love me in a way that didn't require sex or anything. Just friend, that can hold hands in public. She reminded me alot of Lissa. She has her spirit."

"You're friend Rae has Spirit!?" He pulled me to a stop.

"No, no! That's not what I meant, I meant..." I laugh a little at him, "I meant they are a lot a like."

"Don't do that, Little Dhampir, I thought we found another user..."

"Adiran!" A girl, about my age comes running out of the school with a smile on her face. "I thought we were supposed to meet in the - Oh, hey - you're Rose Hathaway!"

I nodded, amused that my reputaion still is going strong here, "Yes," I said, "yes I am."

"It's an honor to meet you," she tucked some hair behind her ear and said, "I'm engaged to this pain in the ass over here." She points to Adrian and I laugh.

"Congratulations! I'm very happy for you both!" Surprised most of all, I thought. "I guess that you didn't out grow your love for Dhampir women," we all laughed at that one. "What did you say your name was again?"

She looked a little embarrassed to tell me her name, but after she swallowed looked at Adrian reasurringly, she said, "I'm Elena Dashkov."

***

There was shock running through me as I asked for her name again.

"Excuse me? What did you say it was?"

She looked a little uncomfortable, "Just... Call me Elena. Forget the Dashkov part of my name."

"You're..."

"The daughter of the guy in jail right now for harrassing the Queen? Yes, that would be me, but please, just call me Elena." She flashed me a smile that looked like she was ashamed of her last name. Who wouldn't be...

I smiled back at her, "It's nice to meet you Elena. If you would excuse me - It's really not you -" I added when I thought she might think she'd be a party crasher, "my kids are waiting for me back at my dorm."

"It was an hornor to meet you," she shook my hand and I was off to see how my kids were doing with their father.

I walked slowly, giving them more time together. I told them that if they needed me, for anything, they knew that they could call and I'd be there. My kids were top value for me. If that meant that I never had happiness, then so be it. I was one of the luckiest mothers out there, I had the most special children in history.

My phone rang in my pocket, "Hey Liss, what's up?"

"Nothing, I just... wanted to hear you voice. Can I come over tonight to see the children? I'll bring a little something extra!"

Blood, a voice echoed in my head. "Yeah, sure why not? I'll put a movie in, it's getting a little late anyways."

"It's only six fifty five, Rose."

"Well they will train a little bit, and then eat, shower, watch a little TV and I'll read to them. Or you can if you want. They'll be in bed by eight," I said. "If Mariah doesn't get enough sleep, she becomes a little like her Aunt: Cranky."

Lissa laughed on the other end of the line and I hung up, telling her to swing by after training.

The phone weighted a lot in my hands suddenly, and I thought about Grandma. I missed  her guidance. My fingers scratched the dial board and I heard the phone connect to the other end.

"Grandma?" I said when the ringing stopped.

"Rose! It's such a relife to hear from you, how are the children?"

"Good, Damon is a little sick, but nothing a little mediciene can't help cure," her voice was a sweet sound to hear. It let my mind go to ease.

"And how are my children?" She asked with a buzz in the background.

I could tell she was in teh kitchen, the faint rucus was the oven being worked over time. "Lost," I said truthfully. "Oh, Grannie, I've made a mess of things."

"Then go get some chemicals and clean it up," she was always positive.

"I think it's a stain," I laughed at my metaphor.

"Well, use bleach..." She said getting serious, "Do you want to tell me what happened?"

"I almost kissed Dimitri. You know, I did kiss Dimitri. Our lips brushed, but then Rae showed up, and I... and he found out... Blew up in my face. I just want..." I sighed. I knew I wasn't making much sense but Grandma fallowed along like a pro.

"Where is he right now?"

"With Damon, watching over him. Mariah doesn't want to see him, understandable, but... I don't know if I want her to want to see her father. I just wnat to come back home. We had a home there."

"Home is where the heart is, sweetheart. It'll be here if you want to return. How are the Vampire's handling their little secret? Keeping it hidden from Rae?" She asked over the phone, and even though I wanted her to be here, I was greatful for what I had.

"Ya," I said, "she is having a blast. My guess is that she is talking to that little boyfriend of hers."

She laughed at that, and replied with, "Don't worry. It will all work out. Find out what you want, Rosemarie. Everything happens for a reason. Just find one you like."

We talked for a while longer, about nothing in particular, just small things. How the Inn is doing since we left, if the weather has changed.

I hung up and sighed. Why did life have to be so F-ing complicated!?

I slammed my phone shut, greatful that I didn't have an iPhone or else I'd probably just throw it against the tree to get the same satisfaction. A moment later I got another call.

"What?" I snapped without meaning to.

"Mummy?" Mariah's small voice made me start to sprint toward the dorm. "It's Damon, he... something is wrong!"