Chapter 16

I wanted to run into Dimtri's arms. To hide their like I used to do when I was a young Guardian. So foolish then, I shouldn't have ran. A Hathaway doesn't run from her problems, she faces them head on. Though I felt like if I did face those fears, then I would get conked on the head with a hammer.

Dimitri wanted to stay with them, and I loved that he wanted to. I served us dinner, simple Mac'N'Cheese and a small glass of soda. I caught several times Dimitri staring at me, and I smiled in spite of myself. I knew that I shouldn't be flattered, but I could help but have my thoughts wonder to the hallway. Him shirtless, pushing me up against the wall with a stare that could pierce any woman's soul. A look full of desire and lust.

The clock strikes 7:30 and I pat Mariah's butt. "Alright there, skipper, toward the bathroom you go."

"What about Damon?" she whined. "He needs to sleep too!"

"You know the tradition," I swallowed, "we will all stay up with him because he's sick and needs looking after. He will get some sleep, but you need some too. You know you will stay here tomorrow with him..."

"Oh, okay!" she smiled sheepishly. "I'll be right back Damon." She kissed his forehead and turned on her hells toward the light glow in the bathroom.

I went toward the table and picked up a few dishes. In the small apartment, I see Dimitri standing in the shadows, washing the few dishes we used.

"You don't have to do that," I said dripping my scrubby in the warm water.

"I want to," Dimitri said, "it's the least I can do."

"Actually," I offered a compromise, "if you want to instead, you can go sit by Damon and find out more about this whole chibang." I sat at Damon's side while we all ate. The dinner table was quiet, and awkward. Dimitri was trying hard to get to know Mariah, but the affection wasn't returned. I wanted them to get to know each other, really, I was starting to want it a lot, but Mariah was dead set on ignoring him.

I could see the slightest lighter flare in Dimitri's eyes. "You sure?" he asked. "I can finish this..."

I smile and say, "I know you can, it's dishes..." I didn't know what I was doing, I didn't even register I touched his arm until he looked down at my hand on his shoulder. "Go talk to your son."

His hand covered mine in his gentle warm touch. It sent shivers up my arm.

"He's our son," he said quietly correcting me and flashing me a small smile.

The way he was looking at me made me feel complete, but then my mind traveled back to when we were in cabin and how he broke my heart after...

I saw him tickle Damon's stomach and how he smiled up at his father. Dimitri looked over at me, and I gave him a forced smile and turned back to the task at hand.

Mariah came out of the bathroom in little red cupcake shorts and a silky green top.

"Who taught her to match?" Dimitri said with a hidden grin. I did have to admit that her matching skills were horrible, but then again, there were more important things going to care about that.

"Rae did," I scratch my forehead thinking, I'm gonna have to do that...

"When am I gonna meet him anyway?" Dimitri had his mask up, giving me no emotion to see what he was thinking.

"Rae? I don't know.... But beware, she is very fierce when she wants to be."

"Ray is a girl?" he shouted and I jumped back.

"Ya," I say slowly, "is that bad?"

He recon posed his face, and shook his head. "No, no, of course not I just didn't think that you were..."

"That I was what?" I asked after he didn't finish. I have always wondered what he had against her, but I never really got the chance to ask. Mariah and Damon were quiet and looking at us.

Rae broke in to the room after that, cutting off Dimitri and his deal against her. She took me in her arms and kissed my cheek, I kissed her back. Rae was a strange individual. Touch was her love language, she was very open, and held my hand without thinking about doing anything else. She was in love with her boyfriend, very much and I had to admit that they were perfect for each other. But, still there we were in public looking like sisters holding hands.

"Who is this, babe?" Rae said pulling back and eyeing Dimitri. I could tell she thought he was hot but the playful lusting look in her eye. That look will be wiped in - ah, I'd give it about three seconds. Flat.

"Rae this..." How do I break this to her? "This is," I clear my throat, "Dimitri... This - this is Dimitri." I looked at her waiting to hear the response. See a response.

I was wrong, that look was gone it two point five, and said exactly what I thought she would say...

Rae licked her lips, clenched her jaw and crossed her arms lookin' badass, "So you're the dick that broke my boo's heart?"