Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

After the Dante fiasco, Katherine and I watched violent movies, London Has Fallen and World War Z. At one part, around twelve, I look over to find Katherine crying silently. From what I can gather Katherine is a very strong person. And very much, like myself, resorts to violence when faced with a problem.

But, there is a time when every strong person needs to lean on someone.

I gently squeeze her hand. The only reassurance I can offer her.

When I had met Dante, he seemed like such a nice guy, maybe a bit flirty, but normal. Never in a million years would I guess that Dante would cheat on a girl like Katherine.

She was someone who had a hard shell but under was a great person. I could definitely relate to that.

Dante had major problems, but it seemed like Katherine made him a better person and makes him happy. Is that Spencer to me, or is that some dream of mine.

Spencer.

I hadn't heard from him all day, nor had I talked to Megan or Alec.

Oh my gosh, I had left my pregnant best friend, and my brother without a word about where I was going.

I frantically reach for my phone in my back pocket.

I have messages from basically everyone. Alec, Megan, Spencer, Carter, Mason, Alicia and even an unknown number.

I call Megan first, to only find a chirpy voicemail telling me to call her back. She was pregnant I doubt she would stay up until twelve and wait for a call.

So instead I call my brother.

I don't get voicemail this time.

"WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?!" Alec yells when he picks up on the first ring.

My heart drops to the floor, and probably even father into the ground. "Alec, I am so sorry, I didn't look at my phone all day. But seriously I didn't think that anyone would care this much." I say ashamed for making Alec worried. He has so much on his plate and I don't want to add to it.

"Just please come home, I was so scared Harper. I even called Spencer, that's how worried I was." Alec says, and lets out a breathy laugh, even though I could hear the stress in his tone.

"I know Alec, I am sorry. I am in Charleston, I'll leave in a second." I mutter and look at an understanding Katherine. She scribbles her number on a piece of paper and gives it to me for showing me to the door.

I give her a big smile and point to the number, indicating I'll text her later.

On the other side of the phone, Alec seemed to counting to ten, as if to calm his nerves. "Harper, we'll talk when you get home." Alec grinds out, he was clearly frustrated, but still caring. "I am sorry for yelling at you this morning, I know it is a lot to take in. We never should've lied to you." He admits, his voice full of regret.

"I am sorry too, I mean I shouldn't have ran out on y'all and snapped at you." I tell him as I go to my car. "And congratulations Alec." I say to him, and a smile at his laugh.

I can picture my big brother raking his fingers through his hair with the biggest smile on his face. "Harper, I am going to be a dad. I am going to have a child, my own." He says, no really believing it himself.

A picture of Alec pushing his son or daughter on a swing. Him cheering on their kid at a soccer game. Alec staying up all night to rock the baby to sleep. "Alec, you are going to a great dad. Any kid would be extremely lucky to have you and Megan as parents." I tell him honestly, and smile to myself.