Chapter Twenty-Two

You know that kind of feeling that you can't quite explain in the best of ways, but it sort of just fills you with light and joy. Laying in Spencer's arms, our legs tangled together and my head resting on his chest. I watch as his chest rose and fell in a rhythmic pattern. That's what I feel.

With his hair falling onto his forehead and his futures relaxed, untouched by the stress of the world pushing down on him. The way his eyelashes fluttered against his cheek. 

I kiss his temple before untangling myself from Spencer and getting out of bed. I had forgotten my bag in the truck last night, and don't feel like walking out in the chilly air to fetch it this early. So I simply go over and pull on a pair of his basketball shorts.

It's odd wearing his clothes, which not only are too big for me but smelt like him as well. The sensation was pleasing though as if it was meant to be.

I look back at his sleeping form, the peacefulness of him make me want to jump back into bed and snuggle the morning away, but instead, I walk into his bathroom to brush my teeth.

I focus on the minimum, normal action of brushing my teeth when a pair of heavily muscular arms wrap around my waist. "Good morning Evangeline." He whispered onto my neck, his lips making a hot trail down my shoulder.

I giggle against him and meet his eyes in the mirror. "Goodmorning Eastwood, it is morning," I state, going back to the conversation we'd had last night, or lack thereof. The words his aunt had said still echoing in my head. 

He sighed and leaned back against the bathroom door, his eyes no longer on me, but rather the ceiling above us. "Tragedy seems to follow my family like a legit black cloud. That woman you met last night, that was my Aunt Terry, my father's sister. Her daughter, my cousin, Holly, died of a heroin overdose when she was nineteen and I was seventeen. I had brought her to one of Dante's fights, in hopes of hooking the two up, since they were both getting over a breakup. Only Holly went home with some guy, I have no idea who, but next thing I know I get a call from her mother screaming that Holly was in the ER." He removed his eyes from the ceiling to stare at me. And the pain I saw in his eyes was enough for me to turn and wrap my arms around him. 

"Spencer, that is not your fault." Was the only thing I can think to say, the only thing I can think of to comfort him. 

"I know Evangeline, I have accepted that I cannot put the blame on me, or that guy, or anyone else other than herself. No one knew that she was struggling with her addiction, at least no one that I know of. But my Aunt blames me." He sighed again and kissed my forehead. "This is too tragic to talk about before we even eat breakfast, and what kind of boyfriend would I be if I didn't treat my beautiful girlfriend to strawberry yogurt and whatever other shit I have in the kitchen. You go ahead and wake up Willow and I will brush my teeth so I can kiss you without you passing out." He jokes, and it cancels some on the tense from the situation. 

Without another word, I squeezed my arms around him in a gesture of reassurance, before exiting his bathroom and his room. Walking down the hall towards Willow's room I again notice the pictures on the wall of his family and the gradual change in the mood. 

Willow was already awake when I got there and was in the middle of making her bed. 

Damn this kid is on her game

"Hey, Willow, would you like to help me with making pancakes? You can add the chocolate chips." I send her a wink which has her shooting past me into the kitchen to start getting the ingredients out. 

As I walk past Spencer's room he reaches out and grabs me. His arms wrapping around my waist and he presses his lips into mind. "You are my bright light, Evangeline." He whispers before kissing my lips again. "I am going to tell you the rest of my said tragic story, now to get it over with and to prevent my little sister from feeling any pain it might bring. My parents loved each other very very much, but they were very different. My mother was always a people person and loved children, but my father he was the opposite actually. They never planned on having children, at least not until they were older and could then adopt, but I happened, obviously." He showed me a private smile while made my heart sore and hurt at the same time.