Chapter 22 : Warfare

"Are you okay, kiddos?" Dale asked after incapacitating several Blacks. He and Von approached us while adjusting their suits. Not even a drop of blood stained their clothes even after doing those kinds of attack.

My leg had given up on me so Cliff supported my body weight.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Honestly, no, but I do not have the luxury to be in pain."

Dale and Von took care of the remaining Shinigami allies while Aarif did his best to control the crowd. Some humdrums saw what happened so I guess we would need to take care of their memories later on.

We went toward the forest and I could hear screams and explosions everywhere. Dale and Von took the front line, easily incapacitating the enemies with their fatal yet graceful moves. Sa bandang gitna ay nakita namin ang ilang Custos agents na pinadala rito for reinforcements. Sumama kami sa kanila at nagpaalam naman ang dalawa para pumunta mismo sa campus kung saan sila mas kailangan.

"At 9:00."

Without even looking, Cliff threw his starknife at that direction and the Shinigami's body thudded to the ground as he let out a harsh cry.

"Nel, ten meters away from you," Naia warned.

The pain in my leg and arm was uncomfortable but I hurled myself forward. I was ready to use my dagger against the Shinigami but suddenly, the Black Dimension opened in front of me. With my acceleration, it was hard to stop.

"Enjoy your stay, Custos," the Shinigami inside sneered.

"Nel!"

Cliff pulled me backwards but a part of my left hand already got into the Black Dimension. I felt a burning sensation, as if my hand was being incinerated from the inside. I pulled the trigger of my gun and my body jerked back due to the recoil of it. Cliff and I fell to the ground and I had to bit my lips to prevent myself from screaming. The excruciating pain was enough to make me pass out but I willed myself to stay awake and alert.

"Did you gain weight?" Cliff groaned and I hit his chest in return.

"You think you're funny?" I said with a ragged breath.

Umupo naman ako dahil sa sakit ng kamay ko at mukhang hindi na muling nakabalik ang Shinigami na 'yon mula sa Black Dimension. I must've hit his body when I shot him. Sinubukan kong igalaw ang kamay ko pero namamanhid pa rin.

A lot of research had been conducted to study the Black Dimension but nobody, besides the Shinigamis, know how it works. What we only know is that it has adverse effects to Erityians other than the Shinigami tribe and humdrums will die instantly once they enter that realm.

I just experienced it for a few seconds but I felt like dying, even though it was only my hand that was exposed. Having that dimension must be a huge advantage to the Shinigamis in this war.

"Are you two okay?" tanong ni Naia at inayos ko naman ang earpiece ko.

"Yeah. It stings though," sabi ko naman kahit na mas malala pa ro'n ang nararamdaman ko.

"Be ready," she alerted. "There's a huge signal coming from the forest."

Sabay naman kaming tumayo ni Cliff at kinuha ko ang painkillers sa leg strap ko. I injected it to my leg and arm, hoping that I could endure the pain for a few more hours. After that, I readied the weapons on my hand, anticipating the impending attack.

"Should we use our abilities now?" tanong ni Cliff at tumango ako.

"Maybe now is the right time."