Chapter 38 : Forgotten

My eyes fluttered after dreaming about Mom. For a moment, I couldn't remember what happened. I was in an empty, windowless, dimly-lit room covered with dust and cobwebs. My hands and feet were handcuffed, and I could still taste iron in my mouth.

The blood made me remember what I just went through and I shuddered when I realized my current situation.

"Shit," I muttered. "They took my weapons and devices."

I tried breaking the handcuffs, but it seemed like they were made from a different type of metal. Tumayo ako at lumibot sa kwarto para hanapin kung saan ang exit pero mukhang may mechanism din kung paano gumagana 'yon dahil puro pader lang ang nakikita ko. Napasandal naman ako saglit dahil umikot ang paningin ko. I also felt a pang of pain in my chest and stomach where Nigel hit me a while ago.

Just when I was about to continue searching, a portion of the floor caved in, creating a meter-wide hole. Gears clicked. Chains and levers moved. Something was coming up.

No. Someone.

When I saw Onyx slowly moving up with that scornful smile plastered on his scarred face, I wanted to take away the life out of him. However, upon seeing Nigel behind him, my displeasure turned into something beyond wrath.

"What did you do to him?" I snarled.

He smirked. "What do you think? He's our latest Navis."

"You, monster!" I yelled, the metal digging into my skin as I tried to snap them.

"This guy," he said while grabbing Nigel's hair, "pathetically got himself involved. He should've lived his life as an agent who lost his comrades, yet he thought he could avenge their deaths. A life befitting a loser."

Guilt choked me as I looked at the vacant expression of Nigel. I felt sorry for suspecting him as a traitor before. It was hard to look at him as someone he never wanted to . . . as something he wanted to save his comrades from.

Onyx started walking towards my direction. He stood right in front of me and I swung both my arms to his face, but he easily deflected my attack. He grabbed my face with his right hand and lifted me as I desperately tried to inflict damage and pain. I wanted to torture him. I wanted to kill him. But I don't have any strength nor ability to do that in my present condition. It was frustrating that the only thing I could do was to hold back my tears.

"You, too, brat," he said. "Just like this guy and your father who failed to save Lace. Live your life as losers. You—!"

Before he could finish his sentence, my feet were already on his face and I used my last ounce of energy to kick him. His grip on me loosened and I used that opportunity to counter. I somersaulted midair, held his head between my bound hands and used the chain part of the handcuffs to strangle and bring him down.

We both fell hard on the floor. A wave of nausea washed over me as pain seared through my whole body. I'd like to lie down for a while, wait for the queasiness to subside, but time wasn't on my side. With what I did, I knew I successfully pissed Onyx. While he was still laying motionless on the floor, I slowly dragged myself away from him and leaned against the wall for support.

"A loser, huh?" I muttered. "I guess losers can still kick someone on the face."

When I saw him flinch, I knew my life would end in any minute. It was regrettable that I couldn't do any damage to him.

He slowly stood up, the grin on his face already gone, and looked at me with those seething eyes. I tried to look calm but his gaze alone was enough to stir up fear.