Chapter 41 : Chromic

'Above!' I warned as two pairs of malicious eyes met mine.

The four of them instantly got into their defensive stances as the next thing I knew, those traitors were already in front of us. Ni hindi ko sila nakitang gumalaw mula ro'n sa third floor. Their movements were too fast for my eyes.

"Well, look what we have here," the Huntres jeered as he put his war club on his right shoulder.

"They are all S-class agents," the Senshin remarked while loosening the knot of his tie. Was he wearing a police uniform? "Underestimating them wouldn't be wise."

Strong and dangerous. That was the first thing that came into my mind after seeing them. They seemed relaxed and unperturbed despite facing five S-class agents.

"Strong and dangerous, huh?" the Senshin said while looking at me. How did he . . .

"I see. So you're from that clan," Fenn commented as he drew his sword.

That clan? I never heard about a clan with the ability to read minds and hear inner voices even though they are closed.

The air was suddenly filled with tension. Nigel and the Executives activated their graces as the two changed their stance. It felt like I was in the middle of two tidal waves which were about to meet head-on.

The Huntres swung his war club and flames appeared around him, making a shield around them. His partner, the Senshin, touched the flame near him and it grew bigger, almost as huge as a boulder.

Von and Fenn simultaneously attacked the duo and all I could see was the afterimages. I was an S-Class agent myself but I knew I wasn't in the same league as these people.

"Leave them to Von and Fenn," sabi ni Dale at saka siya tumingin sa upper floors.

Right. The Navis. We need to stop them.

Tumango naman kaming pareho ni Nigel at tumakbo kaming tatlo papunta sa hagdanan. I was about to turn around to see what was happening below when I felt an eerie presence coming toward us.

"Nel!"

"Penelope, behind me!"

If the two of them weren't beside me, I might be good as dead. A fireball zapped at our direction and exploded like a bomb. Few seconds before the impact, Dale used his dagger to change the direction of the fireball while Nigel swiftly bore a huge hole on the wall where it rammed into. We all got blasted away from the stairs but at least, we didn't turn into ashes.

Pagtingin ko ay nakatayo na ro'n ang Huntres habang nakangiti sa akin. I turned around to see what was going on and noticed that Fenn and Von were having trouble even though they were just fighting a single enemy. Hinanap ko naman sina Dale at Nigel at hindi pa rin sila bumabangon. They received most of the impact and I felt guilty for that.

"Aha. So you're the weak link of this group," the Huntres mocked while pointing his war club at me. "Too eager to die, kid?"

All of a sudden, his face was already several inches from mine, as if he teleported to where I was standing. His hand reached for my neck but I swung my dagger, grazing his wrist. It was that moment I realized I'd really be dead if I kept having second thoughts about everything. This wasn't just an academy practice battle. One wrong move and I'd be killed.

I stepped back as I equipped myself with weapons on both hands. Meanwhile, Nigel ran beside me with his clothes still smoldering after that explosion.

"Are you alright?" he asked even though he had wounds all over his body.

"Yes," I muttered.

"You two should follow the Navis," Dale suddenly said.