Chapter 17

"You got your phone?" 

I nod

"Pepperspray?"

"Yes" I sigh

"Taser?"

I turn to show him my backpack. "In the square pocket; within my reach".

"And if something, ANYTHING, happens or seems off; shout and I'll be there within seconds. Even if it's just a feeling or intuition. Shout and I'll be there."

I sigh and open the entrance door, "Yes gattina (kitten). We need to leave now or I'll be late".

Before I can take a step past the threshold, a rough hand pull me back inside by my wrist, and the next second I'm enveloped inside Valerio's strong arms. 

"If I ask nicely with a cherry on top, will you stay home today? I'm having a bad feeling about you leaving" His pleading whisper make my gut tighten and all I want to do is to fulfill his request, but I can't.

One thing is that being the nerd I am; I love studying and want to have a spotless attendance record.

The other thing is that my school life is the only thing left of my normal past life. It's the only thing left making me stay sane and not tip over the cliff. 

My love for Valerio is undeniable, but I really do need space. Having my every move being tracked and watched is very.... suffocating.

I know it's for my own safety, but my grades keep reminding me of my plans for the future. My current situation is a major obstacle and I need to get over it to live my life. 

"You always have a bad feeling when I leave too school, now come on. You're driving right?" I pull away from his embrace and take his hand.

Valerio walks behind me as we head for his car, and the whole ride is silent as well.

Before I leave I reach over and kiss his cheek.

"Don't worry. It'll all work out in the end. Will you be picking me up, or Matteo?"

He stare at me a moment before he stop strangling the wheel and gently push my glasses up for me.

"I'll be picking you up. Remember the taser and pepper spray" He reminds me and i nod in response.

I open the door and shut it after me. 

"Love you" I call through the window and he finally smiles too me.

"I love you too, vita mia (my life)

I wave with a grin before walking away and into the school building. Every morning are like this.

Valerio just overreacts. 

It's the last lesson before lunch. I'm searching for my history textbook in my locker, but I can't find it anywhere. I also searched through my backpack, and I know I didn't bring it home. 

"Where can it be?" I whisper too myself just when the warning bell erupts the corridors.

I curse under my breath and quickly shut the locker. I'll just have to borrow one in the library.

I move to sprint for the library, but Jason, my locker neighbor, stop me.

"You can borrow mine. I don't need it till tomorrow so..."

Motionless, I stare at him.

I can't believe the ace of this schools swimming team is proposing lending me his history book. Even more shockung, he's speaking to me kindly.