Chapter 34

*hears someone clicking their tongue repeatedly* *runs the opposite direction*

**********************

Today is the hottest day ever. Every shop has their doors wide open, and air-conditioning on. People are wearing shorts and summer tops, paired with sandals and sunglasses. Because of the heat, I was so relieved, and the same time amused, when Jason came to pick me up with his bicycle after school.

"It's nice to feel with wind hitting you" He said before we rode off. I sit behind him, leaving him with all the paddling, but it doesn't seem like he has a problem with it.

We decide to eat before going to the movies, and sit outside in the shade. The cafe we choose had everything from salads to burgers. I order a pasta while Jason went for a burger.

"No" I start, swallowing the pasta piece drenched in carbonara sauce, "I don't want to say anything. We can write the speech together, then you read it in the ceremony".

"Don't be shy! You're the honor student! It would be weird if you didn't speak. Think about what the other schools will say, and how the colleges will think of you" Jason argue before picking up a french fry and eating it.

"I can get into any college I want- don't you worry" I look down on my plate, "I can't keep a straight face while speaking all great and kind words about the school and it's system. I can't say I had a wonderful time; "teachers being so supportive and caring"". Jason waves his hands in front of my face; drawing my eyes upwards again to meet his. They're serious with empathy and anger in them.

"I'm not telling you to lie about your feelings or experience, Aria. I'm suggesting that you give a motivational speech. Leave the praising of the school to me.

"Be indirect when you need to. Take up things that people should keep in mind for the rest of their lives- teachers and students. Say things you would have told yourself, that maybe would help others in the same position as you. Give the people listening a mindful of your mind. Show them the piece of you they never expected existed, but I was lucky enough to be with" I mirror the kind smile he's wearing, "From the short and few times we have been together; I know you are capable to do it".

I sigh, holding the tears back, and take another piece of pasta. Jason doesn't press the matter anymore, because he knows he won. Instead he changes the topic, and almost reminds me that I'm a teenager that should enjoy her youth. Almost.

Jason had already bought the tickets in beforehand, then denied my offer to pay him half back.

"Why?" I ask him a little annoyed. 

The ticket man scans Jason's phone containing the QR code for our tickets, then lets us pass. Jason hides his phone in his inner pocket like a pro, then combs his hair back with his fingers.

He looks incredibly hot with his white pants and gray t-shirt, which he curled up the shoulders because it was so hot. His denim jacket is tied, wrapped around his waist, and a silver chain is peeking under it- hanging on the pants belt loops. A matching silver chain is hanging from his neck, and a rolex on his left wrist. 

I look at myself; white singlet and light blue high waist shorts. A pair of silver hoops ear rings and a cheap clock. My sandals looks worn out, and the brown leather is over worn. I must look like a loser beside him.

"Because this is a date" My eyes widen at his confession, and he make an innocent smile, "And I read somewhere that girls like men who has money".

Would it have been anybody else; I would have fought, but I didn't. I just smile and thank him instead. I notice a sigh escaping his lips when he realise I wouldn't get angry.