Chapter Four

"Would you like some help. I could work off the meals I've eaten." I said after I finished off a small breakfast.

"Umm... I guess so. It's pretty busy for a Wednesday morning. And Aunt Lily hasn't slept much lately. Thanks, that would be great."

I brought my plate over to the counter and she showed me how to take orders, in between dealing with new customers.

"Most of them are regulars, so me and Aunt Lily don't generally write it down," she said before handing me a notebook and pen, "But you can ask and write it down and just put it here, for Roger, the chef."

She showed me around a bit more before telling me to take the next customers, an older couple.

"Hello, Kat!" They said as soon as they got in.

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Wimble! How are you two this morning?" she asked as she walked over before introducing me.

Kat had given me a pair of blue jeans and black shirt, so I wasn't still in my old clothes, which were small, torn and faded.

"Well, it's nice to meet you Dani!" the Wimbles said.

"Likewise. Can I get you some breakfast?"

"Usually we just have coffee, but why not change it up, right George?" she said and he nodded before she told me her order.

I wrote down two coffee's with the pie they ordered and put it in the basket for the chef.

"Dani, can you clean the tables off as people leave, too? I wouldn't ask, and you don't have to if you don't want to-"

"It's fine, you know the orders anyway. Just show me how."

So she did, showing me how to do one table before I did a couple more by myself. The chef told me the order was ready so I brought it back to the Wimbles and kept cleaning tables.

"She's got you working already," Said Lily.

"I don't mind, I owe you for three meals already, and room and board. I've only been working a short while."

"No Hun, it's been three hours."

"Oh, I didn't realize. Kat was really busy this morning so I gave her a hand."

"She said that. She also said you work really hard, and haven't missed one yet."

"Thanks." And I picked up my cloth and cleaned the next table.

------

I felt eyes on me, and the hair on my arms stood on end. 'he's back' I thought, 'I don't want to go back! What will happen this time? I should've kept walking!' I looked up only to find Lily's eyes on me. Relief flooded through me as I looked around.

"Do you want to eat something?"

This time I didn't feel so bad taking the food as she put down a salad, knowing she would let me work off the money.

"Do you know how long you've been working?" She asked me, as I looked up.

"A couple hours. Maybe four." That's when I realized it was night time, it's been dark all day with rain, but now the sun had fallen.

"Try nine hours. And you haven't taken a break or eaten anything."

"That's alright, I didn't realize how late it had gotten. I should actually be on my way again."

"You can't leave now, there's still a storm out there." She said pondering something, "How about this, you work five days a week, and I'll pay you ten dollars an hour on top of everything else, you can eat here, and you can live here with us, for as long as you'd like."

" I really do appreciate it but-"

"No buts! At least stay until tomorrow, you'll freeze if you go walking around tonight."

It didn't sound like she was taking no for an answer, but in a strange way, I didn't mind. 'Today was good' I thought, 'I could do this again, and it's only as long as I want to stay.'

"I can leave whenever I want to?" she nodded.

"Okay."

( Author: I know these are short chapters. Comment or vote if you want me to continue!!)