Chapter Forty-One

I had drawn the ground level to the house, but I wasn't sure where to put the stairs, I had two options and the other would be a storage closet or I would end up changing everything around. I crumpled up yet another piece of graph paper and placed it near the others. I heard a car drive in and I cleaned everything up, not wanting Dani to see it. I didn't want to lie to her just to keep this a secret but I wanted to have purchased the land and have the hole dug out for the basement before I even told her. I was thinking of building the whole house before telling her but I wanted us to build it. I wanted the memories to start and end with us.

Dani came in and placed the bags down on the table and walked into my arms. I wrapped them around her and kept quiet, it seemed like she just wanted to be held, so I held her.

Kylie and Tracy mentioned putting their stuff away and I heard them go up the stairs.

"I had pie for lunch." She said looking up and I placed her head against my chest again.

"I'm so happy you did." I had eaten soup from a can for lunch, well, I heated up a can but only ate a couple bites before throwing it out. It was gross and I was so worried that my stomach hurt.

"Me too."

"What did your sisters say?"

"They thought it was weird at first but they ended up getting pie themselves, they said life was too short."

"It is. Life is way too short."

We stood there for a while longer and I think Dani was too consumed in her thoughts to realize it so I picked her up bridal style and carried her to the couch. I laid her down and sat on the floor in front of her.

"Kane?"

"Yes beautiful?"

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"You never push me, not even into talking about my day. I just wanted your arms around me, and you didn't even ask questions, you just held me."

"I will always hold you. I won't push you."

"I know you won't."

I wanted to ask her about her day but she yawned and I figured it was exhausting, probably more emotionally than physically. I was really hoping nothing bad happened.

"Just sleep Dani. You look tired."

"Will you lay with me?" She sounded nervous.

"Of course."

I turned her over and laid beside her, with an arm around her stomach, as she yawned again.

She went to speak but I cut her off, "I won't let you go, I'll keep holding you."

"Thank you Kane."

"No problem beautiful."

She fell asleep pretty quickly.

I must have dozed off too, I opened my eyes and it was dark outside, I could see through the front window. There was a blanket over us and I put it more on Dani, moving it over and down to cover her.

She mumbled something but I didn't catch what it was.

"Just sleep, you had a long day."

"How was your day?" She rolled over and looked at me.

"I worked on the clients house," I wish I could tell her.

"Did you draw it all?"

"No, I can't get it right. I can't figure out where to put things."