Chapter Forty-Nine

It's been two weeks since Dani went back to work but I finished the house in six days so now I was just finishing up planting everything in the clearing so that it all looked good.

I really hope it looks good, she deserves the best and I hope this is pretty close.

I strung lights up in the rafters under the roof. They were small and bright so they looked like the stars on a clear night. It was cool outside and nice weather, even at night.

I made reservations for a fancier restaurant for tomorrow night, before I forgot, or talked myself out of it again, and packed up all the tools once I finished. I had made a path to the clearing and strung candles along the edges so it was lit up. I had rose petals to lay down still, but I was going to wait until tomorrow.

The night went by fast but today was going by slowly. Lily had hired a new waitress, one of Kat's friends' younger sisters or someone and so her shifts were more in the middle of the day. So she was done at four. It worked out because we got time in the morning and afternoon on those days, and other days just before or after depending on the shift.

I had asked Kat to help Dani pick out an outfit. Kat knew what was happening but she was the only one, because I needed her help, which she was happy about. I put the lighter beside the first candles, where I told Kat it would be. She had Dani pick out a fancy dress and heels which she said made Dani look like a million bucks, but she looked like more than that in sweatpants so I was hoping I didn't pass out when I stopped breathing when I saw her in it.

At two I laid the rose petals down, and then waited to go pick Dani up. I had taken out a suit and I hoped I didn't look like a nervous fool as I asked her the most important question I've ever asked someone in my life.

'I'm yours, forever and always.' Those words had been playing on a loop since she said them and even now I was hoping she truly felt that way.

{Dani's POV}

Work ended in ten minutes and usually Kane was done by now. I was worried about him. He had been quiet this morning, and almost looked nervous, but I had no idea why. I asked him what was wrong but he said everything was alright, so I kissed him before heading in to work. I turned and saw him walk into the diner and my face lit up in a smile.

"Hey stranger."

"Hey darling."

I feel like a princess when he calls me that because the first time he did he brought me to see our land.

"Oh, one second." I said and walked behind the counter to grab the food for the family that sat down a few minutes ago.

Kat walked downstairs and nodded at me, at least I thought it was me until Kane nodded back and smiled.

"What was that about?"

"Just saying hi."

I think there was more to it, but after this morning and his quietness I figured he would talk to me if it was anything bad.

I decided I would ask him tonight.

I grabbed my things from the back and we drove home. It was a quiet ride, the only noise the radio.

It wasn't awkward, just silent.

When we got in the door he turned me to face him, "You bought a dress with Kat right?"

"Yeah... She told me every girl has to have a dress that suits them, why?"

"Will you put it on?"

"Now?" I didn't even want it, but she insisted and brought it up in every store. It was a nice dress but some of my scars could be seen in it and I didn't really like it.