Chapter Sixteen

I collapsed.

"Charlie? Charlie who?" Kane asked confused.

"None of your business. In fact, you should probably leave." His voice was everything I remember it being, full of anger and hatred.

"No." 'Oh my God,' that thought went in loops around my head, as Charlie slowly walked forward.

"Fine. Don't leave, two is better than one anyway."

"I think you should leave." Kane's voice was strong and confident as he nodded toward the door.

"Not without her. That bitch got away, and now that I found her I'm taking her back." Tears started streaming down my face, I didn't notice until my hands were wet with tears. I was inching backwards on the floor, but Kane was just standing there, refusing to move. 'Leave, Charlie, leave!' I screamed in my head, but couldn't form words.

"Thought you'd get away, huh, bitch! You didn't the first two times and you won't this time!"

"Get out!" Kane's voice had a layer of authority in it, but mainly just anger. I had no idea where this side of him was coming from, but in a strange way it comforted me. 'Thank God he was here.'

Charlie kept walking forward, "I said, I was taking her with me, right Ella?"

"Leave! Now!" Kane's voice went up a notch as he moved towards Charlie, who flinched and stepped back.

Charlie looked around him and stared right at me, "You know I'll be back. You can't hide from me!" He screamed before backing out the door.

I was crying uncontrollably by now, and Kane went to the window, making sure he was gone, when his truck drove off, Kane rushed over to me and put me on his lap after he sank to the floor. I put my head on his chest as I cried.

He was talking right in my ear, it was low and soothing as he rocked back and forth, "It's okay, it's okay, he's gone now, its okay."

"Oh my God!! Dani?? What happened? I heard yelling and rushed down! Dani?"

"Lily, it's fine. Call the cops."

"Okay, okay," she was hysterical as I just sat on his lap, soaking his shirt in tears. He continued talking and I tried to stop crying. I heard Lily on the phone with the police, telling them to get here as quick as possible, when she hung up she came over.

"Kane what happened? What's wrong with Dani?"

"She collapsed. She was wiping down tables when a man barged in saying that she wasn't getting away this time. Whatever that meant. She just dropped, her face was white as a ghost and was covered in terror, worse than ever before. There were so many emotions on it. It was anger and fear and then fear took over, I don't even know. It happened so fast." He rambled on, then he went back to talking in my ear.

"Oh my God! Dani was it... was it him?"

All I could do was nod before I started sobbing all over again. Kane put his arms around me tighter and started rocking again, whispering low in my ear.

"Oh no." Lily was in shock, she ran upstairs and came down a second later with Kat. They sat on the floor beside us. Their faces were so worried I couldn't look. 'I should've kept moving,' was all I could think.

Five minutes later, the cops showed up. Lily got up and started explaining what she knew about tonight, but it wasn't much. They wanted to speak to Kane but he wouldn't let me out of his arms. Eventually, the cop decided he would question us together.

"Dani? Is it okay? We can do it tomorrow, they can't make you," Kane's voice was laced with concern as he stared into my eyes.

"No. It's fine. I just want it over with."