Chapter Twenty-Two

Since I couldn't come up with something to do today, Kane said he'd pick me up and we would go from there. I had woken up so many times last night I had probably gotten about two hours of sleep, after 'sleeping' for nine hours.

I woke up sore, so I went in the shower. When I walked out Kane was sitting at the table drinking coffee with Lily and Kat.

"Coffee?" He asked nervously. 'Why is he always nervous in front of Lily?'

"Sounds good, thanks."

"And something to eat?" Lily asked.

"I'm actually taking her out for breakfast," he looked up and added, "If it's alright."

"Of course. What else are you guys doing?"

"Not working," I said and scowled at her, kidding, I looked at Kane.

"We haven't decided yet. Unless you came up with something Dani."

"Nope. I'm up for anything." I grabbed the coffee Kane made and handed to me, "Thanks."

"No problem."

I had on an over-sized t-shirt, and yoga pants. After finishing my coffee I went to my room to get changed. I threw on jeans, a shirt with a cardigan and scarf. I twisted my hair into a low bun behind my left ear. Satisfied, I grabbed my coat and running shoes.

I walked out, put my coat and shoes by the door and turned, before picking up the dirty dishes off the table and placing them in the sink.

"Don't even think about it Dani," Lily warned.

With an innocent face I replied, "Wouldn't think of it." Kat laughed and I couldn't hold in my smile.

I sat at the table, and Kat spoke up, "You look good Dani. You seem a lot happier lately. It's nice to see."

"Thanks."

Lily had a mischievous face and I looked at her with a what-are-you-smirking-at face. She just shook her head, "She's right, you do."

"Thanks. So what are you two doing?"

"Kat is opening and I'm closing because she's going out with friends tonight."

"That's nice."

"Yeah."

"Well, if you need help let me know."

"I doubt you'll be back on time."

"Why?" I looked at Kane but he didn't seem to know either. 'Whatever,' I thought.

"I'm going to go open, see you tonight Dani."

"Bye, Kat."

I noticed they were both wearing the jewelry I had gotten them and it made me happy, knowing I did something right.

"And we should get going too. Ready?"

"Yep."

He stood up and I walked to the door putting my shoes and coat on. My wrist hurt really bad and I hesitated for a moment before standing back up with what I hoped was a pain-free face.

"Bye Lily."

"Bye Dani, take it easy, and order a big breakfast." She winked and I just shook my head before walking down the stairs. 'Don't think about the pain. It's not real. It's smaller than you think.'

Kane picked me up, carried me down and put me back down at the bottom. "You just have to ask, you don't have to 'brace' for it."

"Kane it's really not that bad, it's not even black any more." 'It's every other colour, but not black.'