Chapter Forty-Six

"Happy Birthday!" Dani said as she hugged Kat when we walked in the door.

Everyone was already here. Lily closed the diner for the day, which I guess she did every year, for Kat's birthday and all of their friends and family were invited throughout the day. Dani had the day off so we went skating in the morning before we came by here.

"Thanks Dani."

"Sorry, we were coming earlier but got carried away skating," Dani said apologetically.

"I thought that would happen, don't worry, you haven't missed anything I was just about to open the presents."

"Okay."

We all sat down in the tables that had been pulled together and Dani was pulled to sit on the other side of Kat, with Nathan beside her and Lily across from her. Nathan was Kats new boyfriend and he worshiped the ground she walked on. They teased each other nonstop but made each other happy. They were good together. Dani liked him and so did I.

Kat opened all the gifts except five or so before I asked Nathan to come with me. We went outside and I asked him to help me carry the desk up, except he didn't know it was a desk. It had taken me and Dani to load it, plus a little extra help from Dave's friend upstairs.

"What is this it's heavy man." Nathan said about halfway up the stairs.

"A chunk of wood."

"Really? You're making me carry a chunk of wood?" Dani and Kat had hung out a lot more in the last two weeks and I actually grew pretty close to Nathan, he was a good guy, I didn't mind talking to him.

"Yeah, you need more muscle."

"I don't think Kat minds the amount I have."

"I don't think she would mind a little more."

I always teased him on his muscles because mine were a good size bigger and it bothered him. He was pretty defensive about it, which was funny. We were only kidding though, he was actually a funny guy.

He scowled at me and we carried it to Dani's old room.

"Here?"

"Yeah, unless Kat wants us to move it to hers, but that's all you after the party."

"I can't carry it, I'm going to call you if she wants it moved."

"She wanted this an office right?"

"Yeah for homework and stuff."

"Then you shouldn't have to move it anyways."

He looked at me confused and was about to ask before Dani waltzed in the room, "Ta-da!"

"Dani, that's huge, you didn't have to go crazy!" Kat said walking in behind her. Nathan and I put our arms around Kat and Dani, respectively before Kat got too excited and broke away to unwrap it.

Dani looked a bit nervous until Kat's eyes widened and her jaw dropped.

"This is perfect! It looks amazing! Where did you find it?"

Dani looked at me and laughed, "We didn't find it."

I joined in and pulled her closer, "I taught Dani a bit of woodworking."

"You made it?"

She nodded and they hugged again as Kat thanked us a million times in between telling us we shouldn't have done anything this big. Dani just told her it was no big deal and they talked some more about other things. I wasn't really paying attention, Dani looked so happy and free. Lately she shocked me with how open she was, she used to stay reserved but now she talks more with other people, and new customers, not just the regulars. We go out more and she hangs out with Kat's friends, usually Nathan and I hang out then. He's new to the area so we just hang out in town.