Chapter Ten

"Good morning."

"Good morning, Lily."

"You slept well last night?"

"Actually, yeah. I was out when I hit the pillow, and didn't wake up once. And no nightmares at all."

"I'm happy for you. Maybe they're done."

"That would be good. I hate waking you both up all night." Although some nights I woke up kicking but not screaming, so they didn't wake up, but that wasn't usually the case.

"You know it doesn't bother me, I just hope they're done, for your sake."

"Thanks."

"So what are you going to do on your day off?"

"Tomorrow is my day off, I haven't thought about it yet."

"No, Hun, take today off. You worked the entire day yesterday. You didn't even eat. Open to close, you've got to give yourself a break."

"It's fine. I'll go for a run tomorrow."

"Take that run today, it's supposed to blizzard tomorrow. Just relax today." She said it more like an order than a suggestion. So I nodded and went to my room to get changed.

Once I was ready, I stretched briefly before heading out the door. I liked running in the winter because it wasn't so hot, but the sidewalks are always icy so I run on the side of the road. It was sunny today so I ran further than last time, going all the way to the other end of town. I got a call yesterday, saying I could pick up Kat's gift. So I figured I would grab it while I was here. Walking in I nodded to the lady walking out and kept going to the counter.

"Hello ma'am, what can I do for you?"

"My name's Dani, I'm here to pick something up."

"Oh yes, they called you yesterday. It's just in the back, one moment." And she slipped out the door leading to the 'back'.

I looked around the store. I loved this one in particular, it had all kinds of things, from trinkets to books to clothes.

"Here you go," she said handing it to me.

"Thanks." And I walked out. I kept walking until I got to the diner, with the gift in my coat and up the stairs to my room. I put the gift in my room, and went to shower.

I blow dried my hair, putting it into a ponytail and walked downstairs wondering if they needed help.

"How was your run?" I turned around and saw Kat pouring coffee.

"Refreshing. Thanks."

"So what are you doing the rest of the day? Lily told me to tell you to eat something."

I don't usually eat breakfast, and if I work I only remember to eat lunch or dinner if Kat or Lily stops to remind me. I'm used to being hungry, so the little bit of food I take in is more than enough for me. "Oh right, thanks." I grabbed a muffin and a hot chocolate.

"I think she meant for you to eat more than a muffin."

"I'm not hungry. I'll eat dinner." She didn't look like she was buying into it but she let me off the hook, changing the subject.

"So? The rest of your day?"

"Nothing. I can do those dishes for you."

"You're supposed to relax today, Dani."

"Dishes are relaxing."

"Sleep, read a book, watch TV, you know, that type of relaxing."

"I don't like sleeping, I slept good last night. I don't have a book, and don't care for TV. Just let me do the dishes." I really didn't want her to give me another book to read, the last one was horrible. It was about a girl who was murdered by her kidnapper and it just hit too close to home for me, so I didn't keep reading past the third chapter. Lily didn't realize what book she had given me, and apologized for days afterwards.

"Fine, but you forced me to let you, if Aunt Lily asks."

"Of course."

Two hours later I was still working, just finishing up the dinner dishes. I had told Kat I would eat dinner, but like usual I didn't want to. I know Lily is worried because I haven't gained much weight, I probably only weigh ten more pounds than when I first got here, and it's pretty much all muscle. I'm just not hungry, and never sit still too long, because then I think about... him, and refuse to feel sorry for myself.

"Are you going to take tomorrow off, to make up for your day of 'relaxation'?" she air quoted that last part.

"This is relaxing, its just dishes. And no, I was planning on working tomorrow."

"I have to run a few errands before Christmas, it gets crazy busy then, so I want to get them done before then." Thinking I was off the hook for working, I grabbed the bucket for dirty dishes, but she wasn't done.

"Relax. Stop working." And she grabbed it out of my hands, telling me to go upstairs.

"Why?"

She looked at me confused. "Why what?"

"Why can't I work? I'm not good at relaxing."

"Practice," and she pushed me up the stairs. "Don't argue."

Three hours later, I was bored out of my mind. I had already scrubbed the bathroom, cleaned the kitchen, swept and mopped, and even cleaned out the fridge. I had been thinking for twenty minutes of what to do next. I didn't want to think anymore, and was actually contemplating TV when I wandered to my room.

I was halfway through cleaning my room when I heard a big sigh. 'uh-oh' I thought, 'Lily is not going to be happy, but she had to know I wouldn't just sit around.'

"What did you get, five minutes of relaxing before you started cleaning?"

"Ten."

"We have a TV."

"I know."

"Why don't you watch it?"

"Because. I don't like sitting still." 'I did that for five years' I thought, 'I've sat still longer than anyone else. I'm done with that.'

"Why? Oh! Never mind. Come on, you need to eat. A muffin isn't going to cut it." 'Tattle tale' I thought of Kat.

"I had hot chocolate too." Lily glared at me for that one.