Chapter Forty

Kane had made the dough and it was rising as he mixed up different sauces, and I cut up toppings.

"What's that smell, it's amazing." I said to him and he turned around to face me.

"You," he winked and walked towards me.

"Very funny. Are those tomatoes?"

"In the oven? Yeah, I'm making sun dried tomato pizza, so I am cooking the tomatoes so they taste like they're sun dried."

"I didn't know you could do that."

"Absolutely. It's kind of cheating, but that's how I did it last time too."

"I was distracted last time," 'staring at your arms.'

"Don't I know it." He took the knife from my hand placing it on the cutting board, and picked me up and put me on the counter beside the toppings.

"Yeah, sorry about that."

"No apology necessary."

He was silent for a while just looking at me and my cheeks slowly got hotter and I felt myself get redder.

"I love when you blush."

I smacked him in the shoulder lightly, "Well, stop making me do it, I hate it."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Why? You look so happy and young when you blush. You look adorable."

"Ugh."

He laughed at me and put my arms over his shoulders, with my hands together. His were still on my waist and he stepped closer.

"Is cute a better word?"

"No."

"Beautiful?"

I rolled my eyes and he grew a bit more serious.

"Well you're all three, so choose one."

"Which do you think I am?"

"All three, but overall, you are absolutely breathtakingly beautiful."

'I'm probably the furthest thing from it.' I looked down as I put my hands in my lap. He always said it so sincerely and I don't get how he could even think that. 'My sisters look better than me, Kat does too, so why me?' I tried to change the topic, hoping he would drop the conversation.

"How much longer for the pizza?"

He didn't fall for it, "Why don't you believe me?"

He lifted up my chin but I didn't look him in the eye. We had this conversation before and it always ends up the same way. Him trying to convince me that if I saw myself like he saw me, I would be a model. But he's wrong. He could be a model, beating the best of them, yet he doesn't believe me either.

"Dani? Look at me." I slowly looked up and met his eyes. They were a weird brown and were so full of love I looked down again, "Dani?"

I met his eyes and held it, "What?"

"Why don't you believe me?"

"Because I know at least thr-four people you know that look way better than I do."

"Dani, don't do this again. Don't compare yourselves to others, it's not fair," I was about to interrupt when he continued, "They don't even have a chance."

"Kane I'm serious. I love you, and I trust you more than anyone, you give me more than I could ever ask for. But I can't do anything for you. It's definitely not my looks, I have more problems than anybody, I can't even think about the future without me doubting myself-"