Chapter Thirty-Nine

We decided to stay around the house since it was blowing snow. I had grabbed our bags from the car at her moms insistence.

I think her mom thought we were living together, but since I lived in Manitoba I think she thought we met here and moved back there. I wanted her mom to know that Dani hasn't been out of his house that long. I wanted her to know that she came as soon as she thought she could handle it.

And I wanted her to know we didn't live together, I don't know why, but I do.

"So? Have any ideas about what we can do today?" I asked, knowing I had a few.

"We could watch a movie or something."

"Sounds like a plan."

She led me upstairs and slowed as we passed one door, but picked her pace up again as we neared the end of the hall.

She walked in so I followed.

"Which movie?"

"It's up to you. What do you want to watch?"

"Romance?" She asked jokingly and I rolled my eyes.

"If it makes you happy. Please don't fall asleep this time."

"I was just kidding, I wouldn't do that to you."

"Again."

She laughed and I chuckled, it was good seeing her happy and smiling again. She was much quieter in front of her family.

"Comedy?"

"Sure."

"I don't know what they have, we used to have all kinds but I doubt they kept them all."

She opened a drawer and gasped.

"What is it? Are you okay Dani?"

"Yeah- it's just- they- they kept all my movies. I used to own the few that I liked, when I ran out of books I would watch one again."

"Would you like to watch one of them?"

"You don't mind?"

"Not at all." 'I watched a love story by myself, nothing could be worse.'

"This one?" She asked holding one up.

"Sure." It was 'The Secret Life of Bees.'

We walked back downstairs and I realized she slowed her pace by the first door again.

I sat on the couch as she put the movie in. She sat down beside me as it started and curled up close.

"Dani, what's wrong?"

She had three tears on her cheeks and my shoulder was wet, "I forgot some of these parts were in it."

I hadn't thought about it either, until the one girl talked about losing her sister, "I'm sorry. I didn't think about it. Do you want to stop it?"

"We don't have to."

"Dani, don't push yourself. Would you rather go for a walk?"

She nodded as she wiped away her tears and I stopped the movie.

We had been walking for about half hour and Dani seemed lost in thought. She was holding my hand and I rubbed my thumb over her knuckles.

"She kills herself."

"What?" I was confused and had no idea who she was talking about.

"The girl in the movie, the one who lost her sister. She drowns herself at the end of it."