Chapter Thirty-Six

An average height, thin woman opened the door and I sucked in a lot of air. She hadn't looked up yet, as she dried her hands on her apron.

I took a deep breath, 'Believe in Kane.'

"Mom?"

"Hmm? Oh my God!" Her mouth fell open and her hands covered it as she collapsed to the floor. She stuttered as she tried to speak in shock. "Is it- Am I seeing- Daniella?"

"Yes mom, it's me." I was fidgeting with my fingers and couldn't move, I was frozen as Kane helped her up, steadying her as she grabbed the door for support, she was still white as a ghost, staring at me with wide eyes.

"Daniella?!?"

"Yes mom," I took a small step toward her, but quit, not wanting to scare her. Kane moved behind me, giving us space. I know he felt awkward, how could he not, but I just wanted his arms to be around me as we watched the sun, or twirled on ice, rather than scaring my mom to death at her front door. I felt alone, but then he put a hand on the small of my back and I relaxed just a bit, 'Rely on the strength he gives you.'

She slowly walked up to me and held my face, then she broke down crying in my arms. I held her as she shook, 'Is this how Kane feels holding me as I sit terrified after nightmares? Useless and speechless?' Suddenly I felt really sorry for him and understood why he wanted and felt the need to do more. I spoke soothing words, like Kane did to me, and slowly rubbed her back, like he did. 'I get it more now.' I felt bad for making him feel like this, I can't imagine feeling this helpless over and over again.

"Mom, it's okay, you're fine. Don't worry." I had no idea what to say since I really had no idea if she was happy, sad, too shocked to know, or anything. I had no idea. She could've been furious for all I knew.

"Daniella." She had said my name over and over, "Daniella, we thought- We thought we had lost you. We thought you wouldn't come back, that you would never be able to."

She sobbed harder and I looked at Kane for help.

"Ma'am can we come inside?"

"Of course, I'm sorry."

"No mom, don't be sorry. Sshhh, just sit down."

I had led her to the living room right off the front room. The furniture had changed, but the layout was still the same as always. A tear rolled down my cheek as I sat my mother down on the couch. 'I never thought I would question my mothers love towards me. What if this was a mistake? What if I cause them more pain than happiness?'

I sat beside her feeling awkward, staring down at my lap as I had my arms around my mother. She had her face in her hands and she was moving up and down as the sobs racked her body. Kane kneeled on the floor, in front of me, but off to my side looking at me, his face was all concern with just a bit of happiness tucked in there. Another tear rolled down my cheek before I could stop it and I moved my hand to wipe it away, but Kane put it back on my mother and wiped the tear away himself.

"Thank you," I mouthed to him and he nodded before I looked down again.

My mother calmed down and I unwrapped myself from her. She held my hands and looked at me. I had too many eyes on me and I felt like I was suffocating, it was too hard to breathe, I knew I was getting paler by the second, especially when Kane nudged my leg and looked at me asking, just with a look, if I was alright. I couldn't even nod, but then my mother spoke.

"Daniella, I'm so happy. I am shocked, but happy. To think I had lost you..."

I didn't know what to say so I just squeezed her hands. I probably couldn't talk anyways. She was staring at our hands when there was a gasp in the doorway before a loud thud as someone fell to the floor.