Chapter Twenty-One

We were walking out of my bedroom after my gifts were hung when there was a knock at the front door. Kane opened it up.

"Hello, detective, what can we do for you?"

"Hello sir, I just had a couple questions about yesterday."

"Of course," and Kane and I led him to the kitchen table.

"First, I know I should've called and said he was out. Its been busy, although I know that isn't an excuse."

"It's fine." Although Kane's tone betrayed his words.

"He lawyered up as soon as we started talking. He only made comments about being innocent, saying that everything that happened was not his fault," he paused and I interrupted.

"He's wrong."

"Yes, him threatening you, twice, and other evidence shows he is guilty, however, in order to get him put away I need more context."

"I thought you would," It was barely audible, and Kane squeezed my hand for reassurance, "In May 2009..." and I told him the whole story. I told him as much as I told Kane, including the scars all over my back and the few on my arms and legs. I spoke above a whisper at the worst parts, but louder through most of it. I paused twice, and a few tears escaped too.

When I was finished, I looked back up at the detective and I noticed he had scribbled down quite a bit. Including two dates. May 2009, and November 2016.

'The worst and best days of my life.'

"I'm sorry ma'am, I had no idea this went that far. I assumed he was a stalker or something more common. I am truly sorry."

"Thanks detective." 'As long as this puts him away.'

"Are you going to press charges for the threats?"

"No. I want to press charges for everything. The raping, beating, kidnapping. Everything."

"I understand. I will personally start your claim including the notes and quotes I have taken. I will have to find evidence of course, so how about this? I take the next couple days to investigate, in the mean time a restraining order will have to do, sorry, and then we will lock him up for good, okay?"

"Sounds like a plan." But I wasn't happy that a restraining order would 'have to do.' He should be put away forever.

"Okay, so I'll be back, let's say Sunday afternoon?"

"Sure." 'Since I won't be working anyways.'

"And if you think of anything else, here's my number. Night or day give me a shout."

"Okay."

"Thanks detective." Kane rose and shook his hand and we all walked towards the door.

"Oh, one more question, if you don't mind."

"Sure."

"Why did he call you Ella?"

"My name is Daniella, he shortened it the first time he said it, and ever since then, he's called me it."

"Oh."

"But you can call me Dani. Just Dani."

"Suits you."

"Thanks."

The detective walked out, closed the door and I heard him walk down the stairs with Lily saying goodbye to him.

"It does you know."

"What?" He's always so vague.

"It suits you. Dani suits you."