Chapter Fourty-Four

We were just about finished unpacking and I laid down on the bed, I heard her rummage around and move a couple more things before it went silent. To my complete surprise Dani crawled up beside me and laid down with me. She seemed hesitant so I tried not to move, thinking I might spook her.

This was the first time we had ever been together on a bed, and I have to admit it was much more comfortable, although I would sleep on the couch every night to be able to hold her.
I sat up a bit more and she cuddled closer to me.

Then suddenly she climbed off the bed and stepped towards the bathroom, "Can I shower before work?"

"Dani, you don't have to ask to use your own shower."

She smiled and kissed me, "Our shower."

"Good point."

She went to turn but before she reached the bathroom I pulled her closer, and took her mouth with mine.

"You take my breath away."

"Actually, you always take mine away, not that I mind."

I smiled, "So you're done at nine?"

"Yeah."

"I'll be there."

It had been almost five hours of working on the stairs for the house and I looked at my watch realizing I had to go sign the papers to buy the land for our house.

I didn't have time to shower if I wanted to make it by six so I just drove to the realtors place. 

"How can I help you?" An older lady maybe in her forties asked with a smile as she moved files around behind the desk.

"Kane Rider. I'm here for a six o'clock appointment."

She led me to a small office and I walked inside shaking the mans extended hand.

------

After the meeting I returned to work and kept working until it was too dark to see, then I worked in the workshop doing the rungs for the stairway and the railing. It was dark wood and had a strong smell, especially because none of the windows opened in the shop.

I got carried away working and realized Dani got off in five minutes so I drove straight to the diner and walked in. There was two minutes left of her shift.

Dani was cleaning up the last table and looked up to see me, saying goodbye to the customers. 

"What's a beautiful lil' lady like you doin' workin' in a small diner like this?" I asked as I walked closer with my best southern drawl I could manage without laughing, barely keeping a straight face as I said it.

She laughed but played along, "Waiting for a ride from Prince Charming to sweep me off my feet and take me away."

I jogged towards her and picked her up twirling her around. She squealed and wrapped her arms around my neck.

"Kane!"

"No, it's Prince Charming to you darlin'."

She laughed, "Well, Prince Charming you've definitely swept me away."

"But?"

"But you haven't taken me away."

"Just you wait darlin."

She laughed at that and I let her get her coat from the back before carrying her to my truck.

"And where are you taking me prince?"

"Well ma'am, it's a surprise."

"Oh really?"

"Yessiree."