Chapter Forty-Two

We walked into the diner and Lily and Kat were both working. There were quite a few people in the diner, most places were taken. Kat put a plate down, laughing with the customer and Lily was pouring coffee. As soon as Lily saw Dani she ran over and hugged her, but Dani kept me close. Kat looked up to see us and her eyes lit up. She hugged Dani too.

As they were hugging Lily whispered in my ear, "Good thing she's back in one piece." Lily winked but then got serious, "Emotionally?"

I hadn't told Dani but Lily had meant both ways or we weren't going to be able to have kids, at least that was the threat. I liked myself in one piece.

"Nothing she can't get past. Her parents took it fine."

Lily looked at me and realized the sisters were the problem and she nodded.

An older lady got up from a table and walked over to us.

"It's nice to see you again dear, we've missed you."

Dani smiled, "It's nice to be back."

"It was dull without you."

"Thanks Mrs. Wimble, that means a lot."

"Have a good day dear, and don't work too hard."

"Of course not."

The lady laughed, "I don't think you'd realize it if you did." The lady turned to me, "How come we haven't been introduced?"

"Sorry, Mrs. Wimble, this is Kane, Kane Mrs. Wimble."

I shook her hand but instead she pulled me to her, "Don't let her work too hard, apparently she only listens to you."

"I'll try, it's nice to meet you."

"Likewise. I'll see you later dear, I just thought I'd say hi before you get settled."

"Thank you, have a good evening."

The lady smiled before walking back to the table.

"She talked about you for the last week and a half wondering when you were coming back."

"Really?" Dani seemed shocked.

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"She said the sun left with you, told me your smile lights up the place."

"You and Kat smile, Lily."

"Not like you, sunshine."

"Thanks."

"Now go relax upstairs and unpack, I'm sure you're tired from the drive, especially Kane."

"Thanks Lily."

We walked upstairs and Dani still seemed confused.

"She's right." I said nudging her.

"Who?"

"Both of them, the lady and Lily. You're smile lights up a room."

"I think they're just saying that."

"And my sister? Was she just saying that?"

"Kane." She rolled her eyes and I carried her to the couch. She was about to curl up closer to me but instead I tickled her and she tried not to but like always, she laughed and her face was a huge grin.

"See, we don't even have to turn the lights on."

"That's enough of that." She said after catching her breath.

"Do you believe us?"

"I believe you think that."

"Not that again."