:Darker Than Black: [Chapter: 18] //An Original Story//

"No," I whispered, staring at the nurse. "I'm sorry? What is that supposed to mean?"

"He had no pulse at the scene, the doctor said."

"What are you talking about?" I started, my voice starting to get higher. "No pulse? He's not dead!"

The doctor shook her head. "I'm sorry, Emmery."

"No!" I screamed, jumping off the bed and glaring at the doctor. "You're lying! Take me to see him!"

"I can't," she responded, shaking her head.

"Take me!" I cried, my voice cracking. "He's not dead!"

"I'm sorry-"

"You're not sorry," I glared at her. "You don't know him!"

"Emmery, calm down, you're going to hurt yourself!" the nurse reprimanded.

"Hurt myself? Who cares?" I responded, my hands in tight fists. "Because of me... because of me, Hudson is de... d-dead!"

I broke down then. My knees gave out and I collapsed onto the floor, sobbing uncontrollably. It wasn't fair. Hudson couldn't die. He told me he couldn't die! He wasn't supposed to die until June 17th! It was only April 30th! It was impossible.

I began to gasp for breath. It hurt too much. I took ragged breaths in-between my sobs.

"Emmery," the doctor cooed. "Honey, you need to calm down."

"I can't breathe," I cried, choking on my sobs.

I felt a hand on my back. The doctor helped me back to my feet. I coughed, trying to stop my sobbing. I heaved a few times with no sounds before bawling again. She sat me down on the bed.

"I think you should rest. I'm going to give you something that will make you fall asleep, okay?"

"Hudson," I whispered, staring at the floor blankly. "Hudson..."

I felt the nurse doing something with my wrist, and than I was forced to swallow some sort of pill. I managed to get my sobs under control, but the tears wouldn't stop. I climbed under the sheets on the hospital bed and stared at the ceiling again.

The doctor left the room, shutting off the light. I stayed awake, staring blankly, not hearing or noticing anything. The tears started again.

Why had I got into the car? Why did I mess things up? If I hadn't done that, Hudson wouldn't be gone. It wasn't fair. How come Hudson had to die when the taxi driver and myself were fine?

My chest started heaving again and I had to stop myself from bursting out in new sobs. I flipped onto my stomach and forced myself to calm down. Maybe this was all a dream. Maybe I'd wake up.

But if it was a dream, why'd it hurt so much?

I wasn't sure when I had fallen asleep, but at some point I did. And at some point I had woken up to a doctor replacing the IV in my arm, but I had gone back to sleep after that. Now when I woke up, I stayed up.

My eyes were puffy and swollen and it hurt to open them. I sniffled and cleared my throat, rubbing my eyes again. It wasn't a dream, it was all real.

"Willow?"

I shot up, staring in the direction in the voice. Dizziness washed over me for a moment due to my quick movement but when I cleared a familiar person appeared in front of me.

"Hudson?" I choked.

"Yo," he responded, nodding his head.

I shook my head. I thought I had woken up? Why was my dream teasing me? I didn't think it was really fair.