:Darker Than Black: [Chapter: 32] //An Original Story//

"Are you ready to die?"

The four macabre words echoed in my head as I stared at Emmery, my voice escaping me once more.

Emmery stared at me flatly, not a hint of emotion on her face. I stared back, my eyes wide in shock.

The Butterfly laughed. "Good word choice, Emmery"

I glared at the Butterfly. "What did you do?"

He returned my look with an innocent one. "Whatever do you mean?"

"What did you do to Willow!" I demanded, clenching my fists. "Obviously something is wrong with her!"

"Ah, that... Don't worry about it."

"Like hell I won't!"

The Butterfly frowned, looking at a wristwatch. "You have plenty of time, Emmery."

Emmery nodded, still staring straight at me.

"Willow," I tried, nodding to her. "Hey! You remember me, right?"

She gave me a blank look, giving no identification of whether or not she was listening to me.

"Well as much as I'd love to stay and watch, I have other matters to attend to at the moment," the Butterfly said, clapping his hands together. "You two have fun."

"Wait!" I demanded, taking another step towards him.

In one swift motion, Emmery had the tip of the knife at my throat. I froze, my eyes wide. When had she moved forward?

The Butterfly waved and vanished before my eyes.

What was going on? All this was impossible! Emmery's swift movements, the Butterfly's disappearing act, and the sudden gashes on Matt's body.

I glanced at Matt briefly. He was still unconscious on the floor in the middle of a puddle of his own blood. I sucked in a small breath. We had to get medical attention for him as fast as possible.

However, currently I was at knifepoint with Emmery.

I carefully took a step backwards. Emmery didn't make a move to come after me.

"What's wrong?" I asked, trying my best to keep eye contact with her. However the darkness of them gave me a chill.

Emmery didn't respond, instead, she continued to stare at me with a blank expression on her face. Her eyes darted down to Matt, and for a second I saw a different light appear in the reflection of her eyes.

What was it? It was gone as quickly as it appeared. Emmery's full attention was back on me again.

"Look Willow, we need to get Matt to the hospital. We can deal with the Butterfly at another time. Right now, Matt's health is important."

Emmery made no sign of acknowledgment to my words. I scowled at her.

"Are you listening? Willow!"

I took a step towards her and put my hand on her shoulder. Instantaneously, there was a sharp, lancing pain on my arm. My eyes widened in shock, and I quickly ripped my arm away from her.

I looked down at my forearm. Just below my elbow was a small, but deep gash from where Emmery had sliced me with the knife in her hand. I looked back up at her. She had the same unemotional expression on her face.

"Willow, what are you doing?" I demanded, touching my wound gently. "Why are you attacking me?"

"You need to die."

Her voice was monotone. There was no hint of any emotion.

I watched her anxiously. What happened to her? Why was she attacking me? Didn't she care Matt was losing so much blood? If we weren't quick, Matt would die from blood loss!