:Darker Than Black: [Chapter: 20] //An Original Story//

I frowned when I shook the small bag of cat food. Silence. Oliver meowed and rubbed around m ankles. I squatted down and rubbed his back.

"Oli, sorry, but we seem to have run out of cat food," I told him, scooping him up into my arms.

He squirmed and clawed his way up to my shoulder, meowing loudly and swatting at my face. I picked him off my shoulder and placed him on the floor. He continued to meow as I went to the trash to throw away the bag.

I opened the fridge and peered in. After scanning it for a moment, I grimaced. There wasn't even food in the fridge. For Oliver, or for me. Oliver meowed again and I closed the door.

"I'm going to go to the store and get some food," I muttered, nudging Oliver out of my way.

I grabbed my jacket and put it on, heading out the door. I paused at the calendar. It was May 5th. That meant there was a sale at the grocery store today. Oliver meowed at me again as I opened the door.

"I'll be right back," I told him, shutting the door behind me.

I locked my door and started towards the stairs. Hudson's shiny BMW caught my attention. I chewed my lip and stared it. Taking a car would be a lot quicker than waking. And Oliver was hungry...

Sighing, I went to Hudson's door and knocked. When there was no answer, I knocked again. Still no answer. I began pounding on the door.

"Hudson! Can you hear me?" I shouted. The one day he wouldn't be home was the one day I actually needed a favor.

"Loud and clear," a reply came from behind me.

I whirled around to see Hudson carrying a large brown package. He grinned at me and set the box down. He put his hands in his pocket and looked at me curiously.

"You need something?"

"What's that?" I asked, pointing to the box.

"Nothing," he responded, shrugging.

I cocked my eyebrow. He stretched and leaned against the railing. "So... do you need something?"

I shifted my eyes to the ground, hesitating. Hudson had mentioned that he didn't like driving because he didn't like using the things his parents got him. I hadn't thought of that before I came. But I really needed a ride.

My stomach growled, and it reminded me of Oliver. No matter what, I needed to get to the grocery store. I looked back up at Hudson and kept my face straight.

"Could you... possibly... give me a ride to the grocery store?"

"No," Hudson responded right away.

I blinked at him, slightly surprised at his immediate refusal. "Why?"

Hudson laughed. "I was joking. Do you want to go now?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah."

"Follow me," Hudson ordered, pulling his hand out of his pocket with his keys clenched in his fist.

"What about the box?"

"It can stay there."

"Okay," I responded, following Hudson down to his car.

I got in on the passenger's side and put on my seatbelt. Hudson got in and, to my surprise, put on his seatbelt.

"Since when do you put on your seatbelt? I thought you didn't care about your safety since you can't die?"

Hudson smirked slightly. "I have my reasons..."

I frowned slightly, but let it go. Hudson started the car and pulled out of driveway. I relaxed into the black leather seats and turned on the radio. After searching for a few moments and finding nothing good, I shut it off.