:Darker Than Black: [Chapter: 39] //An Original Story//

Hudson watched with apprehensive eyes as I helped Matt into my apartment. He closed the door behind us, a frown on his face. I struggled towards the couch, Matt doing his best to help me get him there. When we finally made it there, I helped him sit down gently. He hissed in pain halfway down.

"I'm sorry!" I apologized, immediately letting him go.

He fell the rest of the way onto the couch, groaning in pain. My eyes widened and I gasped. Hudson snickered from behind me.

"I'm so sorry!"

"Don't... help me again," Matt breathed, trying to shift into a more comfortable position. "Damn it. I should have just stayed in the hospital longer."

"Or you could go to your house," Hudson suggested, scowling at Matt.

Matt returned his look with a sardonic one. "I've explained this. And Emmery already said I could stay."

Hudson turned to me, a pout on his face. "But-"

"No buts," I said firmly. "I let you stay when you didn't have furniture at your house, and I'm letting Matt stay until he heals so his parents don't get suspicious."

"Because some of us actually have to live with their parents like normal children," Matt ended, crossing his arms.

"Won't your mom be suspicious that you haven't been home in over a week?"

Matt smirked. "I told her I was house sitting with a friend."

"For last week, and now another week?"

"She's gulliable," Matt responded with a shrug.

"Don't you feel bad for lying to her?" Hudson demanded, crossing his arms and glaring down at Matt.

Matt rolled his eyes. "It's better than having her have a heart attack after finding out what I've been through and finding out how injured I am. And anyway, you only have a problem because I'm staying with your girlfriend."

"Any man would!"

"Hey!" I cut in, elbowing Hudson in the side. "You two, don't fight. How old are you, five?"

Hudson sulked as I scolded him. He began to scuff the top of his shoe on my carpet while Matt just heaved a sigh.

"Fine," Hudson said, looking up. "Matt can stay."

Matt and I exchanged confused glances before looking at Hudson. A small smirk was forming on his mouth.

"But I'm staying as well."

I opened my mouth to protest but Matt beat me to it.

"You stayed here last week!"

"Why does it matter if I'm here or not?"

"Oh, uh, I don't know," Matt started sarcastically, "maybe because I don't want you and lover girl annoying me with your lovey dovey crap!"

I felt my face heat up and I glared at Matt. "We don't do lovey do- whatever stuff! And Hudson, your right next door! What is the difference between you staying at your house and mine?"

"There's just a difference," Hudson stated stubbornly, crossing his arms. "I'm staying to keep an eye on you two."

"Do you know trust me?" I asked, my voice lowering considerably.

Was that why he wanted to stay? Was I not trustworthy? Did he think I would cheat on him with Matt? I sent a hurt look at Hudson.

"That's not what I mean," he said quickly, stepping closer to me, and grabbing my hand. "Of course I trust you. It's him I don't trust."