:Darker Than Black: [Chapter: 25] //An Original Story//

"Get up."

I looked at Matt, my eyes sore and moist. Rain dripped down the front of his face, his hair matted to his forehead, and he was out of breath. I took in his appearance wearily when I realized where I was.

"What happened? What time is it?"

"You feel asleep after crying like a baby for about three hours."

"I wasn't crying," I mumbled, my face heating up. "I was thinking and something was in my eye."

Matt rolled his eyes. "Yeah, whatever."

I pulled out my cell phone and checked the time. I let out a startled gasp when I saw.

"You ass!" I cried, glaring at Matt. "Why did you wait to wake me up now!"

"I thought you'd need your sleep."

I tried to hold back what I wanted to say, but I could feel my eyes moistening again and it came out in one big burst. "But it's now June 17th! And I have no idea where Hudson is! It was only five o'clock last night! I had plenty of time to go find him and now there's no time. Hell knows where he is or if he's even still alive! I can't believe you didn't-"

Matt slapped his hand over my mouth, silencing me at once. I gave him a confused expression.

"First of all, calm down."

I nodded and took a deep breath through my nose and let it out slowly. It was best to stay calm in situations like this; I knew that. But it was hard.

"It's only one in the morning, Emmery. We have plenty of time," Matt told me after I had calmed down.

I shook my head and ripped his hand away from my mouth. "How do you know?"

Matt reached into his pocket and pulled out his cell phone. He opened it and played with it for a minute before handed it to me. I took it and held it up to my face so I could see.

'Hudson Matthews will die at ten tonight'.

I looked back up at Matt with a confused look. He pointed to where it said who the sender was. I looked back up at him in shock when I realized it was from Hudson.

"But-"

"Look at the signature."

I looked back down at the phone. The Butterfly was the name under the signature instead of Hudson's usual quote.

"That text was from The Butterfly," he informed me. "I received it while you were sleeping."

"Are you sure it's from him? Or her?" I responded, giving him a skeptical look.

"I'm pretty positive. Look at this."

Matt stuck his hand back in his pocket and pulled out a crumpled piece of paper. He flattened it and handed it to me, pointing at the only writing on the paper. Hudson's picture was above it. I read the print:

Hudson Matthews, 18, of Florence dies at 10PM, June 17th.

"Hudson's obituary?"

Matt nodded. "The only thing that is showing up on my newspaper. You know, how I get my predictions? Usually this is full with information, but I think The Butterfly is changing that and only putting a little information."

"But that doesn't help with anything!" I complained, throwing my hands up. "Great. So we know when Hudson's going to die. But not how or, more importantly, where!"

"Calm down," Matt ordered. "We have time to figure that stuff out. Now get a jacket."

"Why?"

Matt looked at my like I was stupid. "To find Hudson."