:Darker Than Black: [Chapter: 35] //An Original Story//

Hudson stared at me like I had grown four heads. I waited for him to say something, or rather shout something, but he just gazed at me. I returned his gaze with a frown.

"Aren't you going to say anything?"

"Ah..."

"Ah?"

Hudson opened his mouth and looked like he was about to shout at me, then shut it, frowning to himself. From one emotion to another emotion flickered onto his face. Eventually he frowned, and narrowed his eyes.

"When I get outside, I'm calling an ambulance and the police, and then I'm coming back for you," he told me, his expression hard.

I was surprised as first to his agreement, but recovered quickly. I shook my head. "I'll meet you out there if I..."

"If you what?"

I shook my head. "Never mind. Go call the cops and ambulance then."

Hudson grabbed my hand and held on to it, staring at me with penetrating eyes. I couldn't help but notice how his hand was shaking. I squeezed it tightly.

"I want to hear it from you first," he said.

I raised an eyebrow. "Hear what?"

"What you feel about me."

I immediately blushed, looking down at the ground. "W-why?"

I asked the question, but we both knew the answer to it. He tightened his grip on my hand.

"Say it, Willow. Please."

"I..." I hesitated, my palms growing sweaty.

"Please," he repeated and I felt his eyes on my face.

"I... I l-love," I stuttered, blushing furiously.

"Look at me, Emmery."

I slowly looked up into his piercing eyes. They were soft and caring. I hesitated again, trying to get the words out of my mouth. Who knew confessing could be so hard?

Hudson sighed, running his free hand through his hair. "Guess it's one-sided."

"Huh?"

"You don't love me back," he stated simply.

"Of course I love you!" I confessed, shock and outrage passing on my face. "Are you stupid? Why do you think--"

Hudson grinned, leaning in and cutting me off by giving me a quick peck on the lips. "Glad to hear it."

I blushed again at the contact, then scowled at him. "Don't I get an 'I love you' too?"

"I've already said it, so if you want to hear it again, get out to me as quick as possible," he responded, giving my hand another squeeze before letting go.

I nodded, and slowly smiled back. "Sounds good."

He nodded, turning back to Matt. "Be safe."

"You too."

I watched as Hudson hoisted Matt onto his back. He turned around and threw one last glance at me. I smiled and gave him a small wave. He nodded at me and started down the hallway.

I took a deep breath and turned to the door we had came through, the one that led to the ballroom. Now the nerves were getting to me. My hands were soaked with sweat, and the shook slightly. I clenched my fist and forced myself to walk to the door. I opened it slowly, peeking into the ballroom.

In the middle was the Butterfly, standing perfectly still. His head was tilted up, and he was watching something on the ceiling with amusement. I glanced up there to see what it was, but nothing came to my attention.