Chapter 26

"Hey, can we work on the project at your house again tonight?" Danny asked Sebastian as he waited for Sebastian to grab his stuff from his locker.

"Sure we can," Sebastian agreed fairly easily as he closed his locker and threw his bacpack over his shoulder.

"Okay, but I do have a small request so that we can get more work done tonight," Danny commented as he walked next to Sebastian down the school hallway. Sebastian's step hesitated for a second before he continued walking again.

"What's that?" Sebastian asked as he glanced down at Danny as they walked out the doors of the school that led to the parking lot.

"Can my little brother come as well?" Danny asked keeping his eyes trained towards the parking lot, looking for Sebastian's car. For a moment Sebastian was silent, at first Danny was concerned that he was going to say no but then he sighed.

"Sure, he can come too," Sebastian replied with a small smile. This time Danny was actually able to look up at him from under his eyelashes. Danny's own smile faultered when he caught a hint of something darker lingering beneath the surface of Sebastian's smile. They got to the car and started off towards the grade school so that they could go pick up Philip before he managed to be able to catch the bus.

When Philip sees Danny pop out of Sebasitan's car he is a bit nervous and says good bye to his friend before slowly making his way over to the car. Philip had no idea whose car it was and that was the part that was really scaring him. Danny opened up the back seat, chuckling at Philip's nervous attitude. Once Philip hopped into the backseat and saw who the driver was, all the nervous attitude quickly faded and was replaced by the biggest smile Danny had ever seen.

"I get to hang out with Bassy and big brother? This is awesome!" Philip squealed excitedly as he buckled himself up in the back seat of the car as Danny got back into the passenger seat. Sebastian chuckled quietly before he drove off towards his house. As they parked in the driveway Philip excitedly threw open the door and hopped out of the car, bounding up the steps with Danny and Sebastian close behind him. Sebastian unlocked the door and Philip ran into the house with Sebastian letting Danny in before him. Philip had stopped in the middle of the living room and was looking around in excitement at how big and spacious it was.

"This place is huge!" Philip cried in amazement. Danny was happy that he was able to see Philip be so giddy and carefree, it had been a long time since he had seen him smile that much.

"What would you like to do?" Sebastian asked Philip as he walked towards him.

"Do you have movies?!" Philip asked in excitement as he clasped his hands together and looked up at Sebastian with pleading eyes.

"Well let's see what we got over here," Sebastian said as he led Philip over to the flat-screen TV and the case that was next to it that must've contained at least 30 movies. Danny smiled as he watched how Sebastian interacted with his younger brother. He admired that about Sebastian, he didn't even really see what Jenna was so worried about. Danny figured that she was probably just over-reacting and went over to the coffee table that he and Sebastian had used the last time that Danny had been over to work on the project. Danny put his backpack down beside the table as he knelt down onto the floor. He unpacked the supplies onto the table as he waited for Philip and Sebastian to throw on a movie.

As they finally pick a movie and put it on, Sebastian and Philip come back to the couch, where Philip curled up on the couch. Sebastian pulled a blanket off the back of the couch and unfolded it for Philip to wrap around himself if he wanted to. Sebastian sat on the floor, around the coffee table, next to Danny and they went to work on their project. As they worked on the project Jenna's words were starting to echo in Danny's head making him more aware of everything that Sebastian was doing. 

Danny kept making frequent glances up to Sebastian, trying to make sure that he didn't take notice to what he was doing. But Danny wasn't used to being sneaky about paying attention to people's actions and was spotted by Sebastian. Sebastian had seen his glances and ignored them at first, but as they continued Sebastian began to get curious if Danny had something that he had wanted to say to him.

"Is something the matter?" Sebastian asked as he stopped working completely and gave all of his attention to Danny. For a moment Danny didn't say anything, he was debating on whether or not he should actually say anything at all. Danny didn't want to alert Sebastian that he suspected that something wasn't right with him, but he knew that he shouldn't just stay silent.

"Are you doing alright?" Danny asked slowly as he glanced up at Sebastian, not looking away from his strong gaze. Sebastian's gaze made Danny feel oddly confined and calmed at the same time. Sebastian, taken aback about Danny's question, can't think of a proper response other than to simply nod. Danny is surprised at the slight queasy feeling in his stomach that he gets when he sees Sebastian's response, almost like he was disappointed at the response that he got. Danny looked back down at his paper work, contemplating on whether he should challenge Sebastian about his answer, when he hears Sebastian's phone go off.

Sebastian sighs and picks up the phone to see who had messaged him. Sebastian's face instantly pales and he clenches his teeth together as his eyes whip across the screen. He slams the phone down onto the table before roughly rubbing his hands against his face. Danny immediately notices the drastic change in Sebastian's mood and Jenna's words were now ringing loudly in his ears. Danny now thought that she wasn't so far off with something being wrong with Sebastian. He knew now that he had to be cautious about how he asked his questions.

"Who was that?" Danny asked as he kept his eyes on the paper pretending to be focused on the project, and tried to act as nonchalant as he could without sounding nosey.

"My ex," Sebastian grumbled out through his hands. Danny's eyes widened and he paused his fake concentration. He felt his heart sink and his stomach twist into further knots. Danny was surprised at himself, was this jealousy that he was feeling? But why was he feeling jealous? He shouldn't be developing feelings for Sebastian, straight guys are always huge heartbreaks.

Philip shuffled over on the couch so that he was behind Danny and Sebastian. He gently tapped Sebastian on the shoulder so that Sebastian turned his head around to look at him.

"Bassy, I'm hungry," Philip says shyly as he sits on his knees. Sebastian smiled up at Philip before ruffling his head a bit. Danny could see now that the smile was much more forced.

"I think its a good a time as any to take a break and get something to eat," Sebastian replied as he got up from the floor and started off towards the kitchen. Philip got up off the couch and followed him as Danny got up off the floor to do the same. Danny starts to follow them to the kitchen when he sees a crumpled up piece of paper on the floor. Curiously, Danny leans down and picks up the piece of paper. He unfolds the piece of paper and sees that its a print out of a news article from another town that he had never heard of. The news article was something about a guy getting sentenced to 90-120 days in jail and 5 years of parole for child endangerment.

"Danny, come on!" Philip called from the kitchen.

"Coming!" Danny called back and folded up the piece of paper and shoved it in his pocket to look at later. He quickly walked over to the kitchen to join Sebastian and Philip in helping to cook some kind of dinner.